Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have an 88 camaro V6 2.8 liters. Bogs down and makes a backfiring noise from fuel injection manifold. Car bogs down extremely when engine's cold, a little better as it warms up, but still bogs. Popping happens warm or cold, as well as reduced power. Am I looking at a sensor problem? TPS switch, O2 sensor, temp sensor, mass air flow sensor? I've had injection manifold removed and cleaned and recently replaced the radiator, muffler and cat converter. HELP!!!!

·
Registered
159 Posts
First things first.Since we are dealing with fuel injection(the key word fuel)you should always begin diagnosing a running problem by taking a fuel pressure reading.Don't replace a single part until you have checked for the correct fuel pressure.

·
Registered
4,491 Posts
Well, you could buy or borrow a gauge, they can get pretty pricey.

The test port on your car is located near the distributor,on the fuel rail. It will have a cap and schrader valve.

Be real careful not to spray fuel on distributor!...major firehazard!

The pressure should go up when key is turned on, and HOLD.

If you want to e-mail me I'll be glad to help with details.

------------------
Don~ ZZ430DropTophttp://hometown.aol.com/zz430droptop67rs
~~~~and~~~~
70 RS/Z28
67 RS/SS Convertible, 70 RS/Z28

[This message has been edited by ZZ430DropTop67RS (edited 02-13-2002).]

·
Registered
159 Posts
Yes you can.You could tape it to your windshield and drive around with it under different engine loads and see if you ever have a loss of pressure.Some auto parts store sell a basic gauge for around $40.00.It'll work fine for you.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was scrounging around under the hood and found a thin vacuum line disconnected on the passenger side. It has a rubber tip on it that looks to be broken off from where it was connected. Looks like it should connect somewhere under the fuel injection manifold. Could this be the cause of the whole problem??

·
Registered
168 Posts
Greetings joel007,
There should only be two areas with a thin vaccuum line that could cause the problem you are describing. One is the vaccuum line going to the fuel pressure regulator and the other one goes to the exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve solenoid. Either one could cause your problem. Check both areas since you recently had the injection manifold removed. I would also check to make sure all my bolts were properly torqued down. Hope this helps some.
The Trickster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got the fuel pressure checked this weekend. hovers between 29 and 30 PSi. Way too low. Changed fuel filter but sounds like I'm looking at a new fuel pump. What do you think?

·
Registered
4 Posts
you had the pressure regulator vacuum disconnected when you took the reading???

make sure...

look for the regulator close to the schrader port where you connected the pressure guage...

zroc

------------------
87 IROC 305TPI 5-speed (collecting parts for mods)
89 T/A 305TPI/5spd/3:23 180stat/manual control fans/K&N/otherwise all stock. best [email protected] consistant [email protected]
4 other third gens in various states of "project".

1 - 12 of 12 Posts