Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to buy a 1988 Iroc-Z Camaro from a friend of the family. It has a 350 v8, t-tops, with an automatic trans. Is there any nice tweaks or tricks I can do to the car to make it easier for me to hot rod around a little more than once a month or so without throwing the automatic transmission out?

And what are the other specs about this year? I've been stuck in the early two generations for a long time... just now getting into third gen. Fill me in!

Here's some pics...

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/Necrovander/closeup.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/Necrovander/HPIM0716.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/Necrovander/HPIM0714.jpg

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l158/Necrovander/HPIM0715.jpg

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hello? Anyone?

·
Registered
518 Posts
Not sure what you are really asking. Sounds like "how do I make my car faster without blowing up the trans?" in which case if the trans is suspect then it is probably the first place to start, i.e. replace the trans. What automatic is in it? 700r4? I subscribe to that school of thought that mild shift kits extend the life of the clutches in the tranny so if it's not high mileage you could try adding that.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
in addition to 1stgen`s post, a corvette servo would be a good investment...it`s about 25 bucks on ebay, it`ll make the car shift much firmer, and it can be installed with trans in car...

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
Not much you can do becuz its not the L98 motor, that sux.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
What are you talking about? Not the L98 motor...?

And what I want to do is make my driving and racing around easier on the transmission. I mean the handling and everything is perfect, but I'm afraid that if I hotrod around too much then I'm going to blow the transmission to hell and back. I like to race a lot, but I try not to do it too much with an automatic, but I don't have the money to rip it out and replace it, so are there and tricks or tweaks I can make to make the strength of this automatic better and stronger so that I can at least hot rod around more often?

·
Registered
518 Posts
The things mentioned above area good place to start. And obviously flushing the tranny, replacing fluid and filter is a good place to start since that is an often neglected thing on an automatic.

You could also add a transmission cooler if the car is still using the factory radiator as a cooler since they are prone to clogging and don't cool as well. Hot rodding and racing the car around will build up a lot of heat in the tranny.

Finally, things not to do include reving the engine and then dropping it into gear.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is ther anything else? I'm probably going to try everything you've all suggested,

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
the L98 motor is the TPI 350 that was installed in these cars...great motors.
Install a late model servo as stated from a vette, use b&m tranny fluid and an aftermarket tranny cooler. Clean and flush tranny to start tho....jmho

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That is the orignal 350 ci v8 that came stock with the car..

And how does it look like it's been beaten?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Harley is thinking it's not a L98 beacuse it has a carb on top. L98s have a fuel injection system - TPI. If you had that, you could do bunches of stuff with injectors, programming, runners, etc. If it was a TPI car converted to a carb, your computer is probably not correct and affecting your tranny and engine. On a L98 car, the tranny has a TV (?) cable conencted to the throttle linkage. It's like a kickdown cable, but not exactly. If this is missing it will cause bad shifting and it's hard on the tranny. First thing to do would be to find out if it was a L98. Then check if it's a 700R4 and if the cable is still connected. Then take it to AAMCO and have them do thier free diagnostic check. If it needs rebuilt, you might as well drive it until it dies since you can use it for a core and buy a rebuilt one for the same cost as rebuilding yours. If other problems exist such as a messed up computer or cables, you will only ruin a new one, so make sure if it was a L98, you do the correct mods to convert to carb. Other sites such as thirdgen.org have info on that conversion.

-Dan

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It has a carberator because the previous owners ripped all the computerized equipment in the dash out and replaced it with standard equipment seen in the 60's and early 70's camaros.

·
Premium Member
6,360 Posts
OK, look in the console and see if it says LB9 or L98. Then you can go from there. Sounds like they pulled the tranny with it tho, wont run right w/o the CP that runs the motor. It should be a 700R4. If it is its plenty stout just flush and do as suggested....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts