Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I RECENTLY PURCHASED AN 89 RS FUEL INJECTED V8. I'M HAVING A PROBLEM GETTING IT STARTED HOT OR COLD IT TAKES A FEW MINUTES BUT ALWAYS STARTS AND RUNS GREAT ONCE IT DOES BUT ONLY GETS ABOUT 12MPG, IT HAS 80,000 MILES AN IS IN EXCELL COND. I HAVE OWNED 6 CAMARO'S AND HAVE NEVER HAD THIS PROBLEM. SOMEONE SUGGESTED IT COULD BE THE ECM, COULD THIS BE MY PROBLEM? WHAT IS AN ECM? AND WHERE IS IT LOCATED? AND WHAT'S ITS PURPOSE? DO YOU HAVE ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS?

·
Registered
15 Posts
try replacing the feul pump relay switch. It is located on driver side of the engine compartment close to fire wall. I think the part is around 10 dollars. Not sure of the part number

·
Registered
15 Posts
ECM--stands for Electronic Computer Module
It is expensive

I have a 85 v6 and had the same problems I replaced the Fuel pump relay (10 bucks is right) I still had problems but my problem was the wiring harness which hooked into Fuel pump relay and to my amazement the crappy harness which i though would cost $1.99 cost me $27.99. The Chilton's manuel tells you how to tape into the ECM at home. It will tell you through a type of morse code if there are any electronic problems and it will tell you how to test them. All the tools i neede was a test light and a 4 inch wire and the book to decode the codes to figure out what was wrong. good luck

1 - 3 of 3 Posts