Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my steering gear in my 91 camaro rs. I had asked chevy what would happen if I swapped out for a z28 steering gear. Quicker gear they say, but cannot say for sure the dangers of doing this. I have talked to some friends and they say that it the car may steer more than the suspension will allow and will eventually have the tie rods and stuff fail under pressure. I plan to upgrade the suspension but will need a little time before that can happen.

Does anyone have any suspension input on this matter. Any response would be great. :confused:

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
The 1987 through 1993 Z28 gears had the two letter code "WS" ink stamped on the aluminum side cover or the aluminum end plug. It had a fast ratio (12.7:1) and had a travel of 70 degrees lock to lock.

I don't know if your rally sport suspension was a FE2 or Level 1. The FE2 or Level 1 gear was also a fast ratio but it had a slightly restricted travel of 64 degrees. It was identified with the letter code "XH".

The base Camaro gear a slower ratio 14:1 gear with the same travel as the Z28. It was "JL".

So the worst case would be that you would have an additional 3 degrees of travel in each direction. With today's wider tires, this could possibly cause some minor tire rub at full lock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts