Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My sister has a 94 anniversary edition TA that the idle is a little erratic after it gets up to temp. I put a new throttle position sensor in it but it still has the same problem. The ses light comes on once in a while but goes off. The car just passed emissions with flying colors, any ideas? The car only has 91K miles on it and I think she is going to be selling it soon if anyone is interested. It's a t top car not perfect but a nice car.

·
Registered
832 Posts
If its getting up to temp then going to crap try unplugging both the front 02 sensors. If you never see the problem after that then there you go. 02 sensors have become one of the first things I check anymore. Replace with AC Delco, bosch are garbage.

·
Premium Member
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks I'll try that. The idle isn't real crazy it will go from about 600 rpm up to 1000-1100 then go back to 600. It's still driveable but when your at a stop light waiting and it goes up it feels like it's trying to take off on you so i'll try that and post what happens.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
If you run by AutoZone or somewhere like that they may be able to pull the old stored codes out of it for you with an OBD-I scanner and maybe give some direction. I believe an EGR malfunction will set a light and then clear it on its own. If the EGR valve plunger is sticking or has carbon buildup in the hole it acts like a vacuum leak which can cause funkiness. Also, the plastic/rubber air intake elbows after the MAF sensor going to the throttle body are prone to getting rips which also act like a vacuum leak.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
If you run by AutoZone or somewhere like that they may be able to pull the old stored codes out of it for you with an OBD-I scanner and maybe give some direction. I believe an EGR malfunction will set a light and then clear it on its own. If the EGR valve plunger is sticking or has carbon buildup in the hole it acts like a vacuum leak which can cause funkiness. Also, the plastic/rubber air intake elbows after the MAF sensor going to the throttle body are prone to getting rips which also act like a vacuum leak.
you are correct. the best way to tell if its the EGR is to go down a hill and engine brake, it will set a code if its bad

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
Take a good look at the hose connecting the pcv valve to the throttle body.They collapse and split over time when exposed to crankcase vapor.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts