Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a '95 camaro 3.4 v6. the securty light is always on and i don't know why. the starts and runs fine bu the light is always on. any help would be great.

thanks

·
3,355 Posts
Robbie,
When you say it is "always" on, do you mean "always" or just when the ignition is on and the engine is running ? Is the light on solid or flashing ?

A loose connection at the ignition switch, or a bad switch, can let the BCM know that the correct key is in the ignition, but will make the light blink during run. The only way to know is to hook up an ohm meter and check the vats resistance throughout the entire movement of the key. It should stay the same. If it changes as you move the key, you have found the problem.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
its on when the key is in the on position and when the engine is running, the light stays on solid. I have been considering bypassing the VATS, is there an easy place to get to the wires so i can wire in a resistor?

If I bypass the VATS will the light go out?

·
Super Moderator
32,340 Posts
Yes, you can do a Google search to find a couple ways to bypass/satisfy VATS. But in doing so will not allow VATS to do its job of anti-theft.

·
Registered
100 Posts
I'll bet one of the 2 small VATS orange and white wires coming from the ignition key cylinder is cut. It will still run if the failure occured when using the 'correct' key. But if you lost battery power you'd be S.O.L. Unfortuntaly you have to pull the steering wheel, air bag and some of the guts to fix it. It's not bad but it's time consuming.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually i have had the battery removed several times. I have had this light on when the car is running ever since i got the car about a year ago. doesn't seem to cause any problems that i can tell though.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts