Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently acquired a 95 Camaro. It has a No Start issue, 10% of the time. At first, I thought it might be the Vats system so was going to bypass; however, the security light is acting normal (comes on during self test for about five seconds, then goes out). I have noticed that when I get a no start issue, if I hit the underside of the steering column, it does start. Could this still be a Vats issue (even though light acts correctly)? Maybe ignition switch located on column?

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Welcome, James.
By your symptoms, 'slapping the underside of the column,' and it starts, could mean one of two, if not both, problems.

First, or second, unplug the steering column connector and find the two thin gauge wires going up into the column. Using an ohmmeter, digital multimeter on ohms function, insert the ign key into the tumbler and measure the resistance on the two thin wires. This action measures the key chip resistance. If resistance is read every time the key is removed and inserted into the tumbler, good indication the tumbler socket is 'reading' the key. If for any chance, failure to read the key resistance, tumbler will have to be replaced.

Second or first, the electrical portion of the ign system is above the lower column and may need adjusting. Remove the lower dash panel, you can loosen the two screws on the sides and carefully slide the switch portion one way or the other, to get the starter to work. After doing this action, ensure the ign sw will perform the other functions at the new position. Adjust accordingly to get all positions to work as normal. Then tighten the switch screws.

Also ensure the neutral safety switch is positioned properly for its function.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thx for advise. I'll check the Resistance first (as I already know where these wires are ;o). Though, if it were a Vats issue, wouldn't I see security light issue(s)? It's been some time since I've messed with cars. Check Neutral Safety? Isn't that located on or near the shifter? If it turns out to be the ignition switch, this should be fun...never played with this before.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i have a 94z that ever once a while won`t start.this only happens after engine is warmed up,will crank but won`t start.it is getting gas,but after it sets 30minutes or 60 it will start.the last time it did this.i removed the battery cable or stared to.notice it was broke around bolt that held it to pos side. after i repaired.which ment i removed from battery for 10 minutes car started. don`t know if i reseted computor or if the battery was not makeing a good connetion. but my car started.my car has had this problem for a year now.i don`t drive it every day and it has not been doing this very often. just wondering if we are haveing simular issues. and i have installed a new key switch.but still have had problems since changeing key switch.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, tried the bypass and is works great. That said, I still have intermittent no-start issue. Tapping on the column almost guarentees a good start. Guess it could be loss ignition wire or the switch its' self. Have to check those next.

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Very well could be the ign switch.
You might hook a test light to the start wire of ign switch so you may view irt during the start command.
No light, no start. As I suggested, either the switch needs adjustment, or replacement.
How many times has it been started since 1995?
The other you might check/exchange, is the start relay.
Plus, as Jesse suggests, clean the battery cables, both ends.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently acquired the car about two weeks ago and have been working on it since so not sure about the past. I have noticed something new today. I removed the lower dash covers so I could easily check things when I do have the no-start issue (seems like when I want it to have the no-start issue so I can trouble shoot - it starts all the time ;o). After is sit for a while it seems to start everytime. Anyway, today I went out and it started right up. Took it for s spin, pulled over, shut down, and no start, tried light 15 time and nothing. Opened the driver side door, tried and it started right up. So I checked it multiple times. Started it up, held the door switch in, shut down and again, no start. release the door switch and starts up again. Did time many times so now I'm thinking it's not the ignition switch either. Maybe a grounding issue of sorts. Ideas?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, I think I traced this issue to an aftermarket alarm 342 K1059 ELV55AAL736R. I don't suppose anyone would know where to find the install guide or schematic to it? So far, I've looked on the net for two hours.

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
AHA! You might get by by finding the module and remove the power fuse.
If not, then follow each wire of the module plug to the other end of the wire to see the function it controls.
Make a sketch of the wire routing and what circuit(s) they go to.
First and foremost, disconnect the obvious horn, siren, or horn wire connection for stopping the annoying horn/siren.

As a last resort, look to see if a wire has been connected to the door switch, disconnect it. and ground the wire. This will disable the alarm allowing you to start/run as normal without the door open.

Do not leave the keys in the interior. The alarm may lock the doors automatically after 45 seconds to a minute. If this happens, then get the second set of keys and open door to remove keys.

If you don't have a second set, you're screwed. Don't ask me how I know this...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yep, thx. Going to start with drawing it all out and removing the easy stuff like shock, etc and them move towards the spliced stuff like starter, ignition, etc.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thx for the advise guys. I believe this issue has been resolved. Found the issue to be with an after market alarm system from KARR (seems it was installed at the dealer before the car was purchased new). I have removed 95% of the system (left a few pieces in case I want to add an autostart later) and everything seems to be working as it should (random no-start issue resolved). I will say that of all the alarm installs I've seen, this was the worse. They simply stripped a 1/16" section from the center of any wire they needed for a specific component and wrapped the alarm wire around it, then put electrical tape on it. Good news is, it made taking it out much easier ;o)

·
Super Moderator
32,614 Posts
Cool! Now, like you said, driving it for gaining confidence the problem is solved.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts