Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at swapping out my 3.4 v6 for a sbc 400. I am putting all forged internals into it and boring the block out .030 over 3.75 crank throw and 6 inch connecting rods shorter pistons. It looks like I'm going to be running about 11.5:1 compression and going to be around 430 cid after everything.

I'm thinking I want to twin turbo the block once I map out the fuel and spark but I am worried that the blocks not going to fit inside the engine bay. Also im not looking at prices I already know this is going to be expensive and time consuming I just would like to know id the block would hold up to twin turbos.

Any comment would help a lot.

·
Super Moderator
32,355 Posts
The block, 400 CID, might work if prepped correctly, and not overrevved if equipped with stock parts. A said, going into a '95, a Gen I V8 would be a tight fit, considering the lack of space for conventional Kettering ignition.
I would drop the comp ratio as turbocharging makes up for it.
Alum heads, aftermarket block, forged internals, and a DIS system.
If it were me, I'd start with a LQ9 engine and go from there.

Good luck in your endeavor - welcome to the club, Carl.

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
welcome to team camaro!!
do a search here on engine swaps..it takes a bit more than you think..it can be done though!!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
in order to do that swap, you will need the following:

- new k member (bmr makes them)
- new trans crossmember (bmr makes them)
- fuel pump
- low intake manifold
- cutting the cowl area (the low intake helps, if you want ot put a hi rise on, you will need to cut the cowl so much you will loose the wipers)
- new radiator (ls1 may work, but i would be a bit afraid with the engine you want to build)

the price actually isnt that bad... around $2000 all said and done minus the engine and transmission.
- LT1 headers (will fit a sbc)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
in order to do that swap, you will need the following:

- new k member (bmr makes them)
- new trans crossmember (bmr makes them)
- fuel pump
- low intake manifold
- cutting the cowl area (the low intake helps, if you want ot put a hi rise on, you will need to cut the cowl so much you will loose the wipers)
- new radiator (ls1 may work, but i would be a bit afraid with the engine you want to build)

the price actually isnt that bad... around $2000 all said and done minus the engine and transmission.
- LT1 headers (will fit a sbc)
The lt1 headers will work on a sbc then? And what about an oil pan? I just don't want to buy one that's not gonna clear the frame or that's gonna be to low to the pavement.

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
The lt1 headers will work on a sbc then? And what about an oil pan? I just don't want to buy one that's not gonna clear the frame or that's gonna be to low to the pavement.
the lt1 headers will work fine, the best thing is you dont have to get a custom set made.

the oil pan will work as long as you are using a 1 piece rear main seal engine. im not too sure how exactly it would work if your engine has a 2 piece rear main. if you are getting the aftermarket k member, i would imagine a stock pan would clear with no problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts