Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a V6, 1996 Camaro that is blowing air out at about 64 degrees when the air temperature is about 86. Low pressure side checks out at 50 PSI with A/C on Max blowing full even after 10 minutes. I noticed that the high pressure side valve and tube is warm, not hot to the touch.
Am I asking too much for the A/C to be blowing a little more cooler? Seems I read somewhere that the Low pressure side and high pressure side should be about the same temperature to the touch. Maybe I dreamt it. I think I may be spoiled by my 2002 S10 that blows out 50 degree air.

Should it be cooler?

·
Registered
7,795 Posts
Low side - suction side- should be cold to the touch.
Hi side - should be hot - you shouldn't be able to keep your hand on it.

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
Set a box fan in front of the car to help 'cool' the condensor.
Lower the blower speed one notch, the slower the air blown, the more the transfer of heat.

Wife's Element in today's 95° heat blew only 60° with outside air selected.

·
Registered
327 Posts
should be pushin low 50s, check the condiser for blockage. leaves, grass, etc etc. if its not that the condser might have a restirction, 50 psi on the low side is kinda high but not terrible, whats the psi on the high side? are you using gauges or the dinky top off dealy that comes with cans of freon?

·
Super Moderator
32,346 Posts
He's probably using one of those gauge-on-a-can for the suction side. Personnel/operator safety.

·
Registered
508 Posts
the low side should be around 35 psi w/134...fan and a/c on max..........if you start gettin towards 40 psi they start warmin up....(overcharged)...........you should check the temps runnin down the road after you get the interior cooled off a little.

·
Registered
327 Posts
the low side should be around 35 psi w/134...fan and a/c on max..........if you start gettin towards 40 psi they start warmin up....(overcharged)...........you should check the temps runnin down the road after you get the interior cooled off a little.
i used to say the same thing but i came accross a honda civic that would not cool unless the low side was in the upper 40s. craziest thing, more than likely it had some parts that needed to be replaced but the owner didnt want to spend the money, didnt even want to pay for the freon.

but yeah a standard, system should be running around 35 low and 150 hi, but unless you have gauges dont bother trying to read the high, you might blow up the can. in fact, take it to a a/c repair shop.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts