Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,357 Posts
not bad ,about 4 hrs worth of work ,drop the exhaust and rear suspension and the tank and your good to go!..a lift makes life easier!

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
you have two choices

1. drop the gas tank like sparky said

or

2. cut an access panel in the trunk to expose the fuel pump assembly.

if you want to do it the right way, you will have to drop the tank, but most people cut the access panel, and it only takes maybe 30min to do that and install the new fuel pump.

you can just bend the metal back and put some tape over it.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
I hate the fact that GM did not put a Access panel for the fuel pump !!!! what were they thinking that it would never go out ???

they are a pain in the Butt to do the right way which would be dropping the tank .. but nobody said here to try and get a friend and help you with the tank when it comes down and when putting it back in .. the filler neck is trickey going back in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
dont take apart the rear end, cut the access panel and patch it back up. work smarter not harder. google cutting the fuel pump access panel and its all right there.

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
dont take apart the rear end, cut the access panel and patch it back up. work smarter not harder. google cutting the fuel pump access panel and its all right there.
:confused:

If you do it the right way, make sure you get as much gas out of the tank as possible before you try to drop the tank. Once the tank comes loose, all that gas will start sloshing around and make it hard to handle.

·
Registered
12 Posts
:confused:

If you do it the right way, make sure you get as much gas out of the tank as possible before you try to drop the tank. Once the tank comes loose, all that gas will start sloshing around and make it hard to handle.

what do you consider the right way. dude dont listen to this guy, go to this website and do this. took me 45 mins start to finish and pump done. pm me if you need more info or where to get a great 255 lph pump for 79.98 shipped. i know a great vendor for them. drop the tank lol.

www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Before tearing into the car, confirm the fuel pump relay is working. If the pump isn't getting voltage, it won't run. Also, if you need to move the car to an easier place to work on it, sometimes you can smack the gas tank and it will jar the pump enough so will run.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have what i think is a bad pump on a 98 RS.
I have checked the fuel pump relay and even jumperd it out but still not pump.
I have 3 connectors where the pump, sending unit and diff slip indicator plug in.
Just above it there is a black box a bit bigger then a pack of cigarettes that is wired into the harness going to the top of the tank.
The car qtraversing a 30 to 40 deg incline.
I know Ford has a shut off switch that will kill the fuel punp should the car impact , does the camaro have a same featyre and would that black box be it?
I did read viltage to the one connector that has only 2 wires going to it but are coulored differently then the manual.
the other connector has 7 wires and then the diff slip sencor.
Any help before i go cutting the hump to pull a pump that may still be good.
Thanks

1 - 10 of 10 Posts