Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 Camaro has started having a problem. I am thinging that the pump is not the problem. If I am sitting at Idle, I cannot turn the wheel, but moving and if I rev the engine up, then I can turn the wheels.... even if I sit still..
I am taking the car to the dealer in the morning to get it checked along with other things, but I want to go in a little educated so I don't get robbed..

Thanks
Chadu

------------------
ChadU 97 Camaro 3800II, PST, SLP, y87

·
Registered
15 Posts
start up and drive with the windows down and if you here a screeching sound maybe your belts are loose. Easy to fix yourself or someone even with a little experience with cars. Newer cars are quieter and it is harder to diagnose this problem with windows up.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I'm no expert but I would say that your 97 has a serpentine belt,these don't slip to easy,but I guess anything is possible.What kind of shape is the belt in?If you look at the underside of the belt where the grooves are,small cracks are normal on an older belt,deep cracks that run to the bottoms of the grooves or further means you need a new one anyway.Check your fluid leval also.Can you see any leaks in the P.S. hoses?If they are leaking this can cause the problem also.Just a few basic things to check.

------------------
67 RS RAGTOP # matching, 4X4 CHEVY TRUCK

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for all your help.. the steering got way worse in the last couple of days so I turned the Camaro over to the dealer to get fixed..

I am pretty sure it's the pump.

ChadU

1 - 5 of 5 Posts