Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, what's up? I noticed bunches of camaro owners having troubles with their MEAN Machines. Mine is no different.
So here goes my Questions:
I just recently purchased a second hand 99 Camaro with a 3.8 v-6 engine. The camaro is experiencing electrical problems but we are stumped, we have put 1,000.00 into looking for the problem so far.
here's what we were experiencing: Start-up is fine, when going down the road is fine till you hit 40-65 miles per hour it back-fires, it jumps, it smells like burning wires when it back fires, has a rough idle and it dies while backing up.( only dies when backing up).

Here's what we have done so far: Diagnostic was done in the beginning, Complete exhaust system replacement right down to the Chrome tips,all 3 coils were replaced, spark plugs and wires have all been changed, car is still responding the same way and latest diagnostic states that cylinder # 6 is bad. The mechanics are good but are starting to get stumped as well. i heard something about checking a modular and or a fuel injector. Any other clues you guys could offer?

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
miss in cyl 6 doesnt nessecarily meen ignition miss...could be a vacuum leak over cyl 6...also could be a hole in the air intake between engine and maf...the vac leak would have to be pretty big, though...look at the air intake...if it has a hole in it, it could be opening up when you put the car in reverse..this would lean the car out, and make it die...could be the vac leak is a hose being pulled on when the car is in reverse, or at speed...the injector could be bad also...you should read the plug in cyl 6...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vaccum leaks were also checked all over, no leaks!!! that was the first thing i thought next to a tune-up!! This car has been in the shop about 6 times already. The dieing in reverse did not start till after the plugs and wires were changed and that was Saturday 4-7-2007. The diagnostic did say it was electrical, it just stated that cylinder #6 was bad. I was told by the mechanics that they have to find what the #6 is?? The module I believe is a possibility, if the coils were all bad and the spark plugs and wires were all rusted, i feel like that it may have put a strain on other electrical components. Could the 3 coils going out and the spark plugs and wires being bad cause the powertrain module to go bad on the motor? Module and injectors are next to check.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
i`m pretty sure that the diagnostic couldnt tell you if the problem was electrical or not...but my snap-on scanner software could be different than their otc software...the pcm isnt gonna go south from bad ign parts...#6 cyl is the rear cyl on the pass side...the module going bad will usually call a code for quad driver, i believe...if all the coils were bad, you would get a skip out of several cylinders...maybe look for a bad ground to the rail, or other electronic components...perhapse a bad ground to the dis module...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I noticed your name is Mike, that's my mechanics name. The modular will be checked out today as well as the fuel injectors. I think your right about the bad ground with the modular. I would've thought it was the Distributor but since I found out it don't have one. I assume that the modular would be similar to a distributor. The thing about the Diagnostic I over-heard them talking about it on saturday. My mechanic Mike so stated that even after the plug and wire change that it was still registering #6 cylinder as being bad. All i know is i have saw two different things light up on the dash since they changed the spark plugs and wires, One on the left side says Low TRac and the right is the Service Engine Soon light and it flashes and stays on. I'll keep you posted to let you know how it goes. I do hope it's the Modular. Thanks for your info..........

·
Super Moderator
33,287 Posts
I was told by the mechanics that they have to find what the #6 is??
They get paid a wage to be a mechanic? I hope you worded this wrong.

Good luck with the rest, let us know what the 'professionals' find.

·
Registered
5,277 Posts
Electrical short circuits can cause weird behavior like this. I would wonder about electrical signals that change near cruising speeds. One example that comes to mind is the auto-trans torque converter clutch. Any chance the wire is grounding out and sagging your 12volts enough to cause the ECM to wig out or an ignition misfire. One way to check for this sort of thing might be to connect a digital volt meter up to the diagnostic connector or another circiut fed by the ECM. Then take it for a drive and see if the volt meter doesn't show a voltage change when the car begins to buck and fart.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts