Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So upgrading Gen2 Camaro with the 12" brakes off a 9C1 Caprice police car. I acquired the spindles in a trade, not exactly sure what year they are.

Spindles have the expected larger outer wheel bearing, spindle is .840, OK. Every catalog I canb find calls out the SET 3 bearing for the spindle. Reading up, looks like the SET 3 is supposed to have an .843 ID, OK fine. When my Timken bearings showed up from Rock Auto I assumed they would be right. I mean, what could possible go wrong? Old tech, been around for decades. Trouble is the Timken SET 3 bearings has an ID of .835, not going to go on the spindle. The bearing in the Timken SET3 box is marked as M12649, seems to be correct. ID is still .835, not going to work. I checked some other SET 3's at auto parts stores, all were .835. One good parts guy was able to look up a numerical listing of wheel bearings, sorted by ID. No .843 on the list.

Anybody got any idea what's going on with this deal?

·
Registered
997 Posts
I just grabbed a wheel bearing for a 89 caprice for my 1le spindle. Not sure what the inner dia. is.

·
Premium Member
5,344 Posts
I just grabbed a wheel bearing for a 89 caprice for my 1le spindle. Not sure what the inner dia. is.
That's a set 3 bearing like the OP referenced above. I figure a quick stroll thru the NAPA website would find him an answer yesterday. No such luck.

Jeff

1 - 3 of 3 Posts