Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A customer brought his '69 Camaro in and wanted to be able to drive it reliably. It over heated quite a bit. The engine combination was very wrong, but it ran pretty good, so I just came up with a cooling system that would handle anything.

I put the biggest aluminum radiator they make for GM in there. I had to fabricate a cradle and top clap like the newer cars have. I also fabricated a fan shroud for it. It turned out nice. I wanted a non car person to believe that this is how the car came. The amount of work to put a radiator this big in a '69 Camaro is unbelievable. I think I pulled it off though.

And just in case you see '69 Camaro and wonder if it's my work, ...look for this stamp in the top clamp.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Except the stock system WASN'T fine. It had the factory small 3 core, fan shroud and six blade flex fan. I back flushed the cooling system, replaced the t-stat with a 180 and got the proper mix of coolant and water. It would run at 190 for about 5 minutes, then slowly climb to over 220 then up to 240.

I'm guessing from the exhaust pulse that compression is somewhere in the 12:1 range and it's probably bored too. This guy has owned the car for 15 years and has never been able to drive it very far. The temp stays around 180-190 now. Maybe in a few years, we'll worry about changing the combination. I put the bug in his ear about it already so he has it in the back of his mind.

·
Retired
26,766 Posts
The work you did is commendable but way over kill! There is something driving the heat, some of it may be the high compression but not enough that a stock rad in good condition with the proper fan couldn't handle. A bad tune, timing, wrong plugs etc and even the waterpump or an obstruction in the block, something is creating excessive heat.

That 6 blade flex fan may even have a lot to do with it. Flex fans flatten out at rpm and restrict the air through the radiator!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not the timing, tune, spark plugs, block restriction or water pump. I checked all the usual suspects. When I back flushed the system, I used a flush solvent and didn't stop until the water ran crystal clear. The pump was pumping water like a champ. Something internal with the combination is most likely the culprit. Yes, I agree. What I did was overkill, but now if and when we change the engine combination, (or go to a big block) nothing will have to be done to the cooling system.

Besides, after a couple/few decades of doing this, if a customer brings in his car because it's overheating, the last thing he wants to hear is, "The engine is not put together well. We need to build a new engine that won't overheat." Even though that is most likely the case, it's hard to convince a layman of that. That's a sure way to scare him off and into the hands of another garage that really has no clue what they're doing with a car like this. Been there, done that too many times to mention. Then they bring the car back so I can fix what the other guy did, AND the original problem.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Very nice work!

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
That shroud is very impressive, Wow!! Looks great! :thumbsup:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts