Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I Just Ordered Hotchkis 2" drop coil springs and would like to know if I should replace A arm bushings when I do this the coil spring job. I'm not sure if this is a back yard mechanic job other then a machine shop would need to remove/replace the bushings. The bushings are original that I know, I've owned the car since 1985.

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
Steve- yes, do it. Just a couple bolts to get the lower A arms off. I'd resist the urge to run poly bushings on a street driven car though. I have poly's in mine and they are really let you feel these Massachusetts streets. I'm going back to rubber bushings and accurate repro coil springs in the near future. Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
346 Posts
I brought mine A-arms to the local chevy service shop and they pressed them in for me for a minimal charge

·
Premium Member
5,987 Posts
Unless I misunderstand, that sounds pretty high. I think anybody with a press can do it. If I remember correctly, I somehow was able to get the old bushings out and have the shop press in the new ones. It couldn't have been more than $30 back then in the 90s...

·
Premium Member
1,503 Posts
If you want to improve handling and don't mind a harsher ride you should consider urethane or del-a-lum. There are many posts on the pros and cons. If you want to keep it stock you can go with new original which I would recommend after 40 years. I took mine out with an air chisel and pressed them back in with some all thread and large washers.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
I just recently did my front end also. While you're in there, I would suggest doing ball joints as well. I did Moog upper and lower ball joints. I had a machine shop take the old buishings out and clean them up, I picked them up, brought them down to get powder coated (black), them brought them back to the machine shop for new global west bushings. Put it all back together with a set of Moog 6308 springs and I am extremely happy with the results.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The price sounds high to me also.

How did you get them out with a air chisel?

All thread is a lot cheaper then $175.00!

How did you install the top A arm bushing?

I ordered 1907F Hotchkis springs but think I will go with Moog original bushing, unless someone ot there knows of a better company the Moog? Also does moog sell part 2 per box?

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
You can get all of them out by yourself. The uppers come out easily with an air chisel on the lip. You have to use a BFH to knock the lowers out a little and then an air chisel will get those as well.

Going back in, the lowers can be put back in with a rental ball joint installation kit. I couldn't get the uppers in (wouldn't fit in my little press) so those I took to a shop but I did half the work there and remember to put the dogbone in there before you press both in. Cut some pieces off of a 2x4 to stick in the ears of the lowers to keep them from bending inward. You'll also need something to put between the ears of the uppers as well. I used a piece of 2x2 and a couple extra hands (at the shop).

If you get poly, press the sleeves in first and then go back and put the bushings in. A full set of poly ones runs $55.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Becareful when taking off your upercontrol arm shafts. Hit it with plenty of lube to make sure you dont strip any threads those arent cheap to replace. Go with some urethane bushings, your wasting your money with the rubber crap I promise you.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Should I replace all of the original control arm mounting hardware when I remove replace the bushings, or only if the bolts are bad?

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
The bolts deffinately! If you lose threads on your control arm shafts replace them. Also do not forget you have to torque your control arm shafts when the car is on the ground again, if you dont the shafts will wishy washy your new bushings out and oblong them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts