Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 387 Posts

·
Registered
1968 Camaro Convertible 250 to a LS3 Engine Swap
415 Posts
So yesterday afternoon I pulled the trigger and ordered a bunch of stuff from https://www.gmperformancemotor.com/ to upgrade my 1968 Camaro "Dorothy" from an Inline 250 Straight Six that might have had 150HP with a 2spd Power-glide to a new LS3 430HP with a 4L65e.

This is a picture of the day I bought her on November 7th 2014, my wife and I drove 15 hours from Naples up to Florence, Alabama to a place called Hut’s Auto Restoration. Tommy Hunt had picked her up just a few months earlier form the Mecum Car Auction in Tampa, she was originally from Ballston Spa, NY where Dorothy Hoyt purchased her when she was 65 years old back in 1968. I spoke to a previous owner that knew Dorthy and Harold and he said that they went down to the Chevy Dealer and all they had were Camaros with Big Blocks and Harold would not let her buy one of those so they ordered a convertible with a Six Cylinder. I did not find out that the car was from upstate NY until afterwards, not sure if I would have taken the drive if I knew the car came from the Rust Belt? Needless to say I don't think Dorothy drove the car much especially in the winter? The car only had 37,000 miles on her when I got her and the under carriage is in amazing condition solid as a rock.

At the time I purposely wanted a 68 with a straight six, back in the day I had 68 SS/RS with a 396 Big Block that got 8 miles to the gallon. Sorry but 8 miles to the gallon just seemed to take the fun out of driving it.

She was at times a little temperamental in starting, if you did not catch it just right you would have to make several attempts at getting her to turn over. Because of this I decided to give her a little update with some products from Clifford Research.

This solved my starting issues, and if you can believe it with these two Weber Carbs and the 3 into 1 Headers I was getting 23 MPG.

It was also fun at Car Shows to see people walk by and be surprised at what they found under the hood.

So as of this moment it has been 1,624 days since I bought the car, and I feel the need to get my hands dirty. Talked it over with my wife and she knows how hard I work and life is meant to be lived so I have her approval to to an upgrade to an LS3. She's a keeper, my wife that is.

First thing was to see if I could get anything for the current 250 engine and the 2spd Powerglide? Once a month a place called "Muscle Car City" has an automotive swap meet. So I drove the two hours up there, put a sign on the windshield "Engine & Tranny 4-Sale $1,200". It seemed to get a little interest but 3hrs into the morning it did not seem that I was going to have any luck, but then to my surprise someone that had walked by it earlier came back to ask about it and while we were talking someone else was waiting to discuses it also. Needless to say a guy named Tommy Lee gave me a $200 deposit for it. He plans to put it into his 1948 Chevy Fleetmaster, his friends thinks he should drop a small block in the Fleetmaster but what he liked about my engine is that it was different, that no one is going to walk up to it and expect to find a dual carb straight six in her. (same thing I experienced).

The following weekend Tommy (pictured) showed up with another $1,000 and helped me pull the engine and tranny out of the Camaro. I should have given him a discount with how much he helped with pulling it.

The first things I did was to pull the driver side fender off so that I could remove the inner and outer heater unit to make room for a Vintage Air system, its been rough here in the Florida Heat with out AC.

Also drained the gas tank and removed as much as I could from the inside.

The following are some of the items that I have already ordered and some that I will be ordering:

GM LS3 430HP Crate Engine
Holley Terminator X Max LS Engine Control Module
Holly EFI Digital Dash
4L65e 4spd Automatic Transmission
Vintage Air SureFit kit
Entropy LS3 Radiator, Dual Fan, Harness
GM Torque Converter 2400-2800
Street Beast Hydraulic Brake Assist
Sniper EFI Fuel Tank System
BMR Subframe Connectors
B&M Mega Shifter
Holley Long Tube Header - Stainless
Holley LS RETRO-FIT OIL PAN
Holley Motor Mounts and Clamshells
Holley Transmission Cross-member
Holey Accessory Drive Complete Kit

Let the Fun Begin

Also subscribe to my YouTube Channel below, I'll be uploading a lot of videos of the whole process.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Nice parts selection. Only thing I would do different is the stock shifter with a Shiftworks modification. I prefer the stock appearing shifter.

And get the BIM-01-2 for the gauges to interface directly to the ECM. So clean and easy.

Don

Reactions: 130fe

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
get the BIM-01-2 for the gauges to interface directly to the ECM. So clean and easy.

Don
Thanks for the heads up, was not aware of the component.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I had a set of the BMR subframe connectors and they wouldn't fit at all
Well, they are being delivered Monday so I will give them a try and see if I can get them installed? Only a test fit though because will need the full weight of the engine and everything else before final install.

·
13,978 Posts
Thanks for the heads up, was not aware of the component.
There are some issues with the BIM module not being fully compatible and capable of working all the gauges with some harnesses. Would not give OP and Speedo with a GMPP harness.

I would also use the shift works set up instead of the BM

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
There are some issues with the BIM module not being fully compatible and capable of working all the gauges with some harnesses. Would not give OP and Speedo with a GMPP harness.

I would also use the shift works set up instead of the BM
Used the BIM several times without issue. Got all gauges working with GMPP harness and ECM. You will not get OP on an LS1 harness/ECM because it is not on the bus but that is not the case here. LS3 GMPP should be good to go.

Don

Reactions: 130fe

·
13,978 Posts
Used the BIM several times without issue. Got all gauges working with GMPP harness and ECM. You will not get OP on an LS1 harness/ECM because it is not on the bus but that is not the case here. LS3 GMPP should be good to go.

Don
Where they Dakota digital gauges ? I had 2 LS3s with GMPP harness and they both would not get full gauge function with the BIM module.

Several calls to tech support throughout the process and they confirmed it was a known issue.

Got everything working of course but not all through the module

·
Premium Member
3,101 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
Where they Dakota digital gauges ? I had 2 LS3s with GMPP harness and they both would not get full gauge function with the BIM module.

Several calls to tech support throughout the process and they confirmed it was a known issue.

Got everything working of course but not all through the module
Yep VHX gauges. Did you have anything else hanging on the bus like a code scanner etc?

Don

·
13,978 Posts
VHX

Nothing else hanging it.

Chris 130 FTE experienced the same problem on 68

·
Registered
415 Posts
Here is tonight progress, dropped the gas tank out. It nice to see virgin sheet metal that has not seen the light of day in over 50 years.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,642 Posts
Only problem I had was with the speedo reading. Oil pressure works great off of the BIM. Just make sure you have “bus” selected for gauge input instead of “normal” in the DD programming menu for those inputs. I had to reprogram the rear gear setting in the tube and it works awesome now. Thanks to Jeff (workn24/7) and Bryce (Shyster) for their help in getting it fixed. If you run an GM auto or T56 super magnum it isn’t an issue, Only with other trans like LS T56 or Tko trans with a different VSS reluctor tooth count.

The GMPP harness is good for an auto because of the ability to plug the TCM into the bulkhead plug in the GMPP harness. I think if I did it over I wouldn’t necessarily use it in an manual trans car.

The DD BIM module works great and you can also read other parameters from the PCM in the gauge LED display.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
The GMPP harness is good for an auto because of the ability to plug the TCM into the bulkhead plug in the GMPP harness. I think if I did it over I wouldn’t necessarily use it in an manual trans car.
I'm assuming I will have different outcome (good or bad) as I will be using the "Holley Terminator X Max" wiring harness?

·
Registered
415 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
May I ask for some help on radiator choice?

At the moment I'm focused on DeWitts Direct Fit® LSX-SERIES aluminum radiator Model: 6139022A (Natural/Auto)
https://www.dewitts.com/collections/ls-modified/products/1967-69-camaro-ls
I used the Entropy LS radiator with their fans. Its a work of art LOL. I also used their plug and play harness (LSX) for the fans. Another option for the fans is guys used PCM of NC, they sell a mod kit to tie into the GM harness/ECM.

·
Premium Member
4,485 Posts
I'm assuming I will have different outcome (good or bad) as I will be using the "Holley Terminator X Max" wiring harness?
You will need a different version of the BIM for Holley.

Don

1 - 20 of 387 Posts