Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<UL TYPE=SQUARE>I'm in the process of installing the a/c compressor(Delco/long one)in my Camaro's 350 ci engine and have a couple of questions. Maybe someone with a similar setup can help. The engine has all the threaded holes in the heads for the mounting kit so it is already installed but need to figure out the belts routing.
<LI>Right now my car doesn't have power steering, where in the three crankshaft pulley grooves does the a/c belt has to run?
<LI>How many grooves have the water pump pulley in a similar installation?
<LI>With the compressor in the drivers side and the alt in the pass side, did both accessories run the crankshaft/water pump route?
[/list]

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 12-03-2001).]

·
11,296 Posts
ORENCH, For a long water pump install (69 style) the crank groove closest to the rad was for the crank/water pump/alt belt. middle groove is for the crank/PS only and the last (inner most groove) is for the compressor and PS pump (PS pump pulley has 2 grooves for A/C option.
The water pump pulley had only one groove.
Without the PS pump, you are going to have a tough time putting the A/C belt on.

Kevin

------------------
69' SS-350 Convert, M20, 3.55 posi. Totally Disassembled & in boxes (I'm working on it!)
69'(Hugger Orange -originally, Burgundy now) Z-21 Convert 327/PG, Driver

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My car has the crank/alt/WP in the groove closest to the rad as you mentioned. Means that the compressor needs the PS pulley for leverage or something? Oh man, then I have to figure out a way to install a fixed pulley there to simulate a PS. I can build it, but is there any company thats makes something to solve that situation?
Thanks a lot Kevin, a few Camaros around but none with a/c.

------------------
Our affair with Camaros is a live sentence without the possibility of parole. www.geocities.com/c68ss http://home.coqui.net/borench

·
Super Moderator
32,437 Posts
Kevin, Orench, why not put on a two-groove water pump pulley, then get a belt for crank/wp/a/c?

------------------
Everett 68/350/PG/11.90/115mph

·
Registered
7,609 Posts
I don't have my AIM with me, but someone can look up the page with the belt routings. Seems to me like one was for S/C with no P/S. Seems like the belt runs crank, water pump, compressor.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
You don't need a PS pump to run A/C. AC compressor goes on the first groove (closest to block) Water pump, alternator and Air Pump (if you have one) goes on the third groove. P/S pump would go on the second groove if equipped. A/C compressor belt does not go around the water pump pulley, it goes under and behind it. There is a different WP pulley on an A/C car vs a non A/C car. The WP pulley is smaller and flater ( not as deep and offset) on an A/C car. A non A/C water pump pulley will rub on the crank pulley front groove.

There are two different A/C belts one with PS and one without PS, because a car with PS and A/C has a two groove pulley on the PS pump and the A/C compressor goes around both the crank and P/S pulley. Shouldn't be a problem getting the A/C belt on and adjusting it. However, most places list the wrong belt for A/C on a 69 camaro. The first one I got was about and 1" to short to get onto the compressor with it all the way up against the head. When you get the compressor on, run a string around the pulleys and measure it before you go down to the part store. Check the length of the belt they give you, or you'll be traveling back and forth a couple of times like I did.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

[This message has been edited by Mark C (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I was working on it yesterday and tried to install a two grooves wp pulley but it didn't match the wp bolt pattern
. As far as I can see, the installed compressor align with the groove closest to the engine, good thing. But even if I could install that 2 grooves wp pulley, the second groove on that pulley didn't look as if it align with the comp/crank. If I could find the correct wp pulley, that align with the crank/comp but that didn't mess with the alt/wp/crank set up, I would be done without having to make a ps position tensioner or pulley ***'y. I think thats the only way I can install the crank/wp/comp set up. Mark, you say the comp belt don't run thru the wp. Some people tell me that is not good to have the belt going from the crank to the comp directly cause it will cause excessive belt wobble/vibration and a three point arrangement is more stable. Now if it's that way that some came from the factory, then I'll doit that way without worries. My car doesn't have air pump either.

------------------

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 12-04-2001).]

·
11,296 Posts

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
That's the way it came from the factory if you didn't have PS. It is kind of a long belt run, but unless your going to be running the car a 5K plus RPM's alot it shouldn't be an issue.

------------------
Mark Canning
1969 Indy Pace Car
350/300HP RPO Z11
My 69 L48 - 350/300HP Engine

·
Premium Member
2,118 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Planning to take some measurements this afternoon so I can make a sketch of whats needed to replace the ps unit with something like a fixed pulley. The best decision I made was to make the a/c comp instalation myself, so later I can let the a/c shop do the rest, if not they would be calling me all over cause of this. Hope I can solve this soon, this is my Christmas present.

AIM=manual?

Update; 4:37pm est/ No way the belt could be driven thru the closest to the motor groove on the crank up to the wp, on my car. Can't hardly see that groove from top of engine. No way Jose...

------------------

[This message has been edited by ORENCH (edited 12-04-2001).]

1 - 10 of 10 Posts