Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey ,

this winter I want to clean my engine compartment.My A/C is not working so I want to remove all A/C related components.
My Question is can I remove the whole A/C and the Heating is still working or do I need new Parts to ensure heating and which components can I remove on the bulkhead ( I saw a picture of a clean bulkhead where only two hoses were fitted).

Thanks Giorgio

·
Retired
16,004 Posts
what model and year Giorgio?
On 69 camaro yes you can remove all the a/c stuff and it wont bother the heater working. Be sure you have the AIM (Assembly Instruction manual) so you get it all back together right. :)

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
You would have to replace the A/c box on the firewall with something else, since the fan is mounted to the a/c box, and if you remove it the fan is gone, and theres a 6 by 10" hole in your firewall letting engine fumes into the interior.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
It will only work if you replace it with a magic box or similar aftermarket product.

It's been done many times and is all covered in the archives so do a search.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Its an 1968 Camaro with 327 Engine and holes are no problem :yes: I will buy some nice CRES sheet metal ;).

I will search in the archives to read how it works .

I got no assembly manual :(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is it true that I have to remove the right fender or can I remove all that stuff on the bulkhead without removing the fender?

·
Registered
561 Posts
I was able to remove the factory heater and a/c unit without removing the fender. The difficult part is getting to the fasteners behing the fender apron. Instead of removing the fender I made four access holes with a hole saw to get to the fasteners. Also had to unbolt the bottom of the fender and wedge in a piece of wood to bring the fender away from the car so the squirrel cage/blower motor could be removed. Actually destroyed the squirrel cage in the process...took it out in many pieces. I then installed Classic Auto Air using the original ac/heater controls on the dash. Hope this helps. May the Force be with you! I will post a picture of the access hole I made in my User CP.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts