Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of rebuilding the front end on my'69. What type of paint (Por 15, powder coat, etc) have you guys used on the A-frames?
Not trying to have a show car but would like a neat stock-type finish.
Thanks
AJ

·
Registered
211 Posts
AJ,
I just did this, and I used a product I found at a local NAPA. They said it was identical to POR-15, but it cost $25 a gallon less. Here's what I learned:

-don't get this stuff on you at all; if you do wash it off immediately
-use very thing layers, or it will run as it cures
-don't let it touch anything as it cures, or that will be stuck to it
-the arms must be absolutely free of grease
-don't get in any threads or the bushing bores

All that being said, the finish came out very well, and its durability is unbelievable. You also need very little to do the a-arms. I bought a gallon and did all four arms and some other small parts. I still have 7/8 of a gallon left. Finally, put some wax paper or plastic food wrap between the lid and can when you close it, or you will never get the lid off.

Ken

·
Registered
211 Posts
I just went to the garage and read the can. It's called Chassis Saver. It looks like the manufacturer is Magnet Paint. They call it UCP99-Truck/Auto underbody coating. It says for professional use only, which means someone has to pay me for using it. I'll let you know my address if someone wants to send a check.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Can it do what POR-15 can do? Can you paint it over light rust? Does it nuetralize rust? Is it UV sensitive?

·
Registered
211 Posts
From reading the can, it sounds identical to POR-15. It can be applied over "tightly packed rust" and stops rust. It is UV sensitive, but it can be topcoated with a polyurethane paint. It can be brushed, rolled, or sprayed on. It is strengthened by moisture.

This NAPA is a full service type of shop with machining capability, etc. I say that because I was impressed with these guys. They said it's identical to POR-15, and after using this, and reading about POR-15, I have no reason to doubt this guy. Here is the companies number:
800-922-9981. The full name of the company is Magnet Paint and Shellac Co in Amityville, NY.

Ken

·
Registered
585 Posts
DAMN! I paid $85 for my Gallon of POR-15 last year. Guess the price is going up. I'll make a reference of this for others though. Thanks.

·
Registered
211 Posts
HwyStarJoe,
Thanks for posting that, because I don't think anyone will be able to find it on Napa's site. Not all the Napa's carry it. However, that is exactly the material I used. The price they list on their website is a few dollars less than I paid. For anyone in the Detroit area, I found it at the Napa on the corner of M-59 and Hickory Lake Road. They also sell sand blasting media and welding gas.

Ken

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Well, you have one helluva NAPA there!!! The local ones to me :mad: are like Auto Zone and all the other chains. I just came from one a few minutes ago and the guy had no idea of what I was talking about. Oh well!! I was hoping to find this or POR locally to avoid having to wait for a shipment. :mad:

Edit: Just checked the distributors page on that site and there are none even in my area code nor the adjoining ones. Guess I'll be making a phone call.... :(

·
Registered
211 Posts
This particular NAPA is pretty nice. I have been very impressed with them. Their silica blasting media is the best price I have found anywhere. By the way, I made a mistake, it's at M-59 and Milford road for any Michigan guys. At least the shipping prices didn't look too bad.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Ken, I forgot to ask you. Is that stuff a glossy finish or semi-gloss?

Thanks...I'm going to give credit to you on my website as I have included this information on a new page called, 'What I've Learned...' It should be up on my site tonight. 8pm EST.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Infamous,
I wish I had a digital camera, but I would call it glossy. I tell you what, I see you're in the Detroit area. I have a lot of paint left in the can, and not too many parts left to coat. I would be willing to let you try some before you use it, and you could see it on my car. Let me know, I live in Holly and work in Southfield. Some day this car will actually be on the road.

EDIT Also, I started reading you webpage; it looks good. However, I think there was some confusion, this Chassis Saver is $25/gallon cheaper than POR-15, not $25/gallon. Sorry if my post wasn't clear.

Ken

1 - 14 of 14 Posts