Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i changed valve seals on my brothers 91 chevy pick-up 350 engine.then we found that the pcv was stopped up.i cleaned the front of the thottle body and sprayed some BRAKE CLEANER into the nipple on the bottom of the thottle body. now that thing SMOKES white smoke and has the awfulest toxic smell you have ever smelled.what have i done ,is there some type of chemical reaction going on with the converter???we drove it about 25 miles and still the same thing.anyone ever ran into this or got any ideas.i hate to get off the camaro scene but thought some of you guys might know. thanks!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I don't know if the brake cleaner can says this or not, but other cleaners do have warnings like "will harm, not for use in, catalytic converters". Who'd a thunk brake cleaner would, it's for brakes.

Also, the throttle position sensor on the pass end of the throttle body, outside it, is very easily damaged from things like harsh plasitc melting chemicals and waters.

If you were really lucky, both the converter and throttle position sensor are toast. If the engine runs OK, but just stinks, you only tagged the converter. It may clean up after some miles, maybe not, only driving it will tell. Don't worry about mosquitos for a while.

A plugged converter is easy to diagnose. Look for a good smog or tune-up tech with a hand held temperature gun, he'll know what you are talking about, and have him shine it at the converter, engine running, inlet and outlet. An OK converter will have about 100 degrees/F more on the outlet than the inlet. Converters heat up the exhaust gasses. Reversed, inlet hotter, the converter is gone/plugged up.

·
3,543 Posts
Tim,
I have seen this several times. The "clue" is that the pcv valve was clogged up. The motor probably is worn out and has a bunch of blowby. With the pcv and the throttle body fitting cogged, none of the blowby oil was going anywhere. Now that you have opened everything up, the pcv system is probably sucking a ton of oil, causing the smoke, which is probably "bluish" in nature if my theory is correct. You can confirm this by disconnecting the pcv hose from the throttle body and blocking the fitting. If the smoke goes away....you have found your problem.
It could also be that the pcv valve you got is wrong, I have seen them cause smoke and oil consumption, or the valve cover baffle is totally clogged up, or missing, allowing the pcv valve to suck oil from the valve cover.
Hope this helps,

------------------
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.