Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So without being too pro camaro! Which I love and I have a 69 BB camaro.
I also don't mind opinions on none chevy cars.

It's come time about know to do what my father and my brother have always wanted to
do. That is build a strip car together and
race at drag strips in a certain et class,
probably some where between 9 and 11 seconds
for fun and to compete. My father has 67 original corvette stingray coupe with a 427 that now sports a 468, which I have the 427 in my camaro, which I turned into a 468. My brother has a crate 302 engine pushing 350+
horspower on motor in a small 91 coupe. Sorry, but those light weight mustangs fly.

Keeping our own cars for the street.

My family is very diverse, we love all hot rods, new or old. This will be a show and
go strip car!

THE QUESTION:

What kinda of car do think we should turn
into a strip, blast down the quarter mile,
thrillin, screamin machine!!

So far where thinking a Chevy II Nova: 67'.
Who knows?

Give me some opinions.

Thanks...

·
Registered
65 Posts
John is right, the monza's make fun cars, fairly light and very inixpensive to buy a decent bodied car. Basicly a factory V-8 Vega. 67 to 69 Camaro's and 68 to mid 70's Novas make excelent drag cars and parts are plenty. They can be made to hook in a car wash if necesary. The early 67 and back Nova's are light, but anything getting into the 10's or quicker makes for a hand full on the big end. The steering/ suspension is like the old Ford Mustang/Falcon's. Bad at any speed. Upgrades are out there though. My nickles worth anyway. Galen

------------------
S/B Chevy Lover
67 Camaro street car
10:50's @ 128 on motor w/383 cid
79 Z28 w/383 9.1:1 3.73:1 Restoring stock apearance
13:40's @ 101 stock exh.& intake& Qjet
smog legal
Camaro Lover

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the opinions.

Remember everyone has there own opinion.
A Vega or a monza, cheap ugly, trash...
Wow, that was wrong, I know Vega's and Monza's out there that would dust my
butt. These cars just get no, man that's
an awesome Vega. Well, I guess I'm a liar!
I do like Vega's and all hot rods. Yet, I
I would never own one.

I believe say what you want, and how you feel
and let people know it's how I feel not how
you should!

Thanks for the opinions, I honestly apprectiate it.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
Cheap and ugly? Darn right. That's a good thing, especially if you are looking to buy one, to make a drag car out of.....nobody wants them for the street anymore, when was the last time you saw a Vega going down the road? I think I've seen a half dozen Pacers since then.......
Now there's an idea, a Pacer drag car. Think about the available width you have to work with......you could probably fit (2) V-8's side by side! Now we're talking original! KZ

------------------
John D. Smith
69' SS/396
www.geocities.com/kz1000ltd

·
Registered
170 Posts
'68-'72 Nova. If you ever get a chance to look through some old mags., look up the old "Hedworth & Rose" S/S NHRA '69 Nova. It will be the one with the big air under the front tires. That car was in my shop for awhile years ago. They are still reasonably priced and do hook up well.
Rick

·
Registered
999 Posts
i have always wanted to build either a 66 nova or the year monza that had the four, square headlights, 77/78 maybe ?
if you don't like that, how about a s-10 pickup, tubbed and lowered. we have a chassis shop up here and the guy built a ranger for him and another one for his buddy and the thing runs in the 9's. not bad for a ford.
bruce

·
Registered
567 Posts
I raced a Vega wagon for a while. Total street car that ran like a bat out of h*ll. It really wasn't pretty, and that added to the insult when you beat someone.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
177 Posts
I miss my Vega- sniffle. I was actually looking for another one when I found my 69 Nova. Seems like all the Vegas out there now are $25,000.00 Pro Street cars. Or gutted drag cars. Anyone out there got a Vega laying around you wanna get rid of cheap? I still have a Hooker motor mount kit.Yeah, I can hear my wife screaming now..."You bought ANOTHER car?...What the..."

How about a mid 80s Malibu? Cheap, rear wheel drive, V-8 ready, kinda different.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I also vote for the 68-72 Novas. I had one that really screamed, until a tree jumped out in front of it.

Mark

Hey Mark Winning, did you ever live in El Paso by any chance?

·
Registered
567 Posts
pete b - Me too, I sold it for $1500 about two years ago, when I needed a 9". As I said, it was a wagon and in real good shape. Still had all the original interior in it, including those "horse hair" filled seats. i really did not want to spend the money to convert it to 5 lug. Only rims I could find were 13" and 4 lug.

mbrekke - Nope. It lived here in Florida.

------------------
Mark
1992 Firebird 355/Six Speed
1991 RS 350 / 700-R4
1987 Toyota Pickup 383 / 500 + HP 10.963 @ 119.95 Slicks / 11.997 @ 114.23 Radials
http://personal.lig.bellsouth.net/~racer383/

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks a lot Doug...just when I thought I was over wanting another one...thanks a whole lot...

Wow. Pete

·
Registered
19 Posts
For a really good drag racing car go for the 80s camaros perferably the '88. Great looking aerodynamic body. Just put a great big powerful engine in it and your flying.
700 cid 900HP Aluminum Head
with a supercharger!!!!!!!!!

[This message has been edited by Camaro4life (edited 10-10-2000).]

·
Registered
161 Posts
What, nobody said anything about the Chevette.Put a 900 horse BB in it and twist it right in half.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
There used to be this guy that raced this old ugly turd lookin' Hudson. Did the quarter in about 28 seconds. The sad part is he sometimes won because he was so dang consistant.

Mark

·
Registered
197 Posts
How bout an old Gremlin? I know the idea might seem instantly repulsive, but think about it:
1. It's lightweight 2. You can fit a descent size engine in one. 3. People would probably pay you to take the car and all the parts off thier hands 4. Like the Vega or Pacer, can you imagine how long a person would hang thier head in shame knowing they got beat by a Gremlin? 5. How many Hotrod Gremlins do you see at a drag strip or car show?

Well, just something to think about

[This message has been edited by englemac (edited 10-10-2000).]

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I actually saw a hotrod Gremlin years ago. It had a small block chevy with a tri-power setup. I remember thinking, what a waste of a perfectly good motor...

Mark

1 - 20 of 35 Posts