Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a pic of the gapping hole in the rear shelf on my '69 created by a former owner to install two 6x9 rear speakers. He cut out the deck and then used a piece of sheet metal with openings for the speakers and pop-riveted/ glued it to the deck. What a mess. I have a new OER panel that can be used to repair this but it looks like major surgery. It appears the rear window will need to be removed and all the spot welds drilled out. The alternative would be a partial panel replacement which would allow the rear window to remain installed, clean up the gapping hole edges, trim the OER panel to overlay the existing shelf panel and then panel bond it. Thoughts, recommen
Tire Car Land vehicle Plant Wheel
dations? Thanks

·
Registered
99 Posts
I would use a patch panel and trim it. I have a similar problem were previous owner using a cutting torch cut clean through where the back seat and deck meet and also another cut near the speaker area, just behind the drivers seat, he was going to tub the car.. I have the panel and and will have some one patch it. It is to much work and the window definitely needs to come out if you replace the whole panel.

·
Registered
1968, 327/210hp, saginaw 4 speed, no options
62 Posts
I had a similar problem with my 68. I bought the replacement package tray and just cut out around the area that need replacement. Welding may be a little tricky since its so close to the window, but looks like you have enough of an edge to work with. If not, then could try and weld from the underside.

Automotive tire Wood Rim Automotive wheel system Gas

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Vehicle

·
Premium Member
3,505 Posts
Cut and splice for welding near the window i would wel underneath from the trunk or use panel bond in that area and weld the more easily accessable areas

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,279 Posts
What's the problem with just leaving as it is and add a thick (18 mm) mdf panel board cut correctly to size that will fit nicely on top behind your rear bench?
On the sizes you can use 2 custom made supports underneath where you will fix aftermarket seatbelts retractors , these retractors will make for a strong fix of the mdf panel for no squeeze sounds expected.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is an option to simply cover the hole with a board and cut new openings for a rear speakers. However, I have no interest in adding rear seatbelt retractors. Not sure I understand your statement here: " these retractors will make for a strong fix of the mdf panel for no squeeze sounds expected ".

·
Registered
Camaro 1968, going along with a propane powered BPE 383 ci, T56, Eaton Posi 4.10:1, MCB Big Brakes
1,279 Posts
Yes this is an easy option to cover the hole with a board cut to size.
When I did this, I had some noises in the cabin because the panel fix was poor. The panel was moving.
If you cover the panel with carpet or vinyl, you need, from under it to fix the panel tight not from above. this is not confortable neither easy to do with 1 person.
I found out when using seat belts you have a large bolt that is compressing the board and this makes for an easy and nice tight fit.

Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts