Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I owned a 67 Chevelle during most of my 20's while my brothers had 60's Cuda and Nova. Well, now I have an inherited 67 stock Camaro with some unique features (on column auto, bucket front, fold down bench back seat) and just needs some TLC.

Car has less than 64k on it. Going to keep the inline 6 250 engine despite antsy kids wanting to power boost it! Floor boards and undercarriage in great shape.

Just removed the seats and carpet. Seats need reupholstered and will be putting in new, but proper carpet.

First big job is converting all drum breaks to disc. Have received the kit from Rick's Camaro's and now trying to decide if I want to do this myself with some help from some volunteers. It's been almost 30 years since I did car work - and never did anything more than replace pads in regards to brakes. A conversion may be over my head, but don't have extra $.

Thoughts & comments?!?

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Welcome Greg. In the 30 years since tooling on cars the amount of almost immediate help you can find is amazing. I would say research the conversion process here in existing threads, search youtube for some videos and then ask the Team Camaro community any particulars you are shady on then if you still are uncomfortable, job it out to a local professional but I would try it first if it was me.

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts
Welcome to the site Greg. In your OP you gave the impression you was wanting to keep your 67 stock until you got to converting the brakes. Why the disc brakes if you are keeping the 6 and Power Glide?

Roger

·
Registered
711 Posts
I always tell people that with the right amount of patience, attention to detail, and time, anything can be accomplished. This is no different. Mechanical work on cars is nothing more than a bunch of repetition of this bolt, this hole. That bolt, that hole. As previously stated, most are more than happy to give advice when asked. Best of luck, don't be afraid to ask. I do this for a living and have to ask people.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi Roger - well, in talking to area collectors, I've been told that switching out the brakes is not a "sin!" The bottom line is that I want to feel safe and comfortable driving the car when it is on the road.

·
Premium Member
19,674 Posts
Greg if you put disc brakes on I believe you also will need 15" wheels.

Roger

·
Premium Member
3,705 Posts
Remember the force stored in the springs. If you are changing to front discs you will likely have to change the spindles. Be AWARE springs can be dangerous. Read the past threads.
And if you have it that much apart new bushings and ball joints may be a good idea.

·
Premium Member
2,717 Posts
Greg if you put disc brakes on I believe you also will need 15" wheels.

Roger
He won't necessarily need 15" wheels (although that would work) but he will need an appropriate rim to clear the calipers. That's what they made Rally Wheels (in a 14" diameter in 67) for...

To the OP: If you change to disc brakes you won't be able to use the stock steel rims. Check this out: http://www.camaros.org/suspen.shtml#Wheels

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know I will need new bushings, but do you think I will need new ball joints and spindles? Only been driven by a couple "old guys" for a total of less than 64k mikes. 2 owners, my great uncle and my grandfather.

I am starting to think you guys all work in sales for a service department! LOL (just kidding - I appreciate all of the advice and suggestions.)

BTW - the springs DO scare me!! I will be seeking professional help for these.

·
Registered
416 Posts
If it were mine, I think I would have simply gone to "power" brakes, and go through the complete brake system, to keep it as original as possible, with added safety. This may be a moote point if you can't return the kit.
JM2Cents

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
If it were mine, I think I would have simply gone to "power" brakes, and go through the complete brake system, to keep it as original as possible, with added safety. This may be a moote point if you can't return the kit.
JM2Cents
Hmmm. That is an interesting idea / concept. I have only opened the boxes from Right Stuff to ensure that everything is there. Nothing has been handled or installed yet. I will look into this! Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
32,600 Posts
Welcome, Greg.
Congrats on the '67 from family.
Transplanted Iowan here from Marshalltown since '72.
Good suggestions given by Ragtop (George), and from FTF (Sean) and 69Pace (Brian).
You might look into purchasing a reproduction service manual, chassis manual and AIM (Assembly Instruction Manual) for the year of Camaro from most any aftermarket supplier.
Another book is an older Motors Manual for the year, or inclusive year, they span six years, and read up on the instructions how-to-do front ends and other items. Amazon.com?

Believe me, and others will agree, Snowball Effect comes to mind.
Don't be afraid to ask questions - this is how we learn.

Warning: you may be gigged for pictures, I'm surprised you haven't been asked yet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm transplanted from Pittsburgh, been in Dubuque for 20+ years. I have almost all of the original manuals and some newer ones. I wanted to hear from "real people" in addition to looking at the books. I will be trying to decide this weekend whether I start the conversion process or look into George's suggestion of just adding some power to my drums and send my kit back. My gut tells me to make the conversion. I will get some pics up tonight or this weekend.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
By the way, it took me almost a week and 16 messages to realize my original post stated that I was going to do a drum "break" conversion. Sadly and unfortunately, that is probably an accurate statement of what is going to happen...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts