Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am installing a console without gauges in my '68 that previously had a B&M floor shifter. There really wasn't much wiring (at least that I can remember) hooked up to the shifter (I did not have reverse lights).

In looking at NPD's site and they have 2 harnesses, 1 for the console and 1 that "EXTENDS WIRING TO ORIGINAL CONSOLE CONNECTOR:"

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/harness_console_shift_conversion_oe_style-144100-7.html

And the other is the standard console harness. This is the one I bought:

https://www.npdlink.com/store/products/harness_console_oe_style_repro-113288-7.html

But I assume that I may need the 1st one also to connect the console harness to the dash harness?

Phil

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
If your vehicle left the factory with no console, then you need the conversion for console no gauges to create the service stub, and the console for automatic transmission harness. The service stub will give you the connector under the dash by the heater and the console harness will wire the rear light on the console and the automatic transmission connections. If you already have controls for the transmission you can frankenstein the console harness or wire it all as factory would have been. Its up to you.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Phil, did your car come without the factory console? If it did come with a factory console there should be a connector in the area of the heater box. Anyway if you don't have the connector the two harnesses you have listed sounds like what you need. If you don't have console gauges the only thing you would need to do is extend the neutral safety switch wires to the console shifter and a hot wire from the dash connector (gray wire) for lighting. Then just buy the 2482-2D AT console harness without gauges.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. It's actually a little unclear what my car was originally, but it definitely did not have a console. The floor was cut out for a manual shifter, yet there is no clutch in the pedal box and the car had an auto B&M floor shifter in it when I bought it (with a piece of sheet metal covering the manual opening). I had to install rivnuts to be able to install the console.

So I guess I will be needing both harnesses.

Thanks again,

Phil

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
Yes sounds like it but look under the dash in the heater output area. Is there a plastic diverter on the front of the heater outlet? Is there a service stub plug tied out of the way? If you can answer yes to either or both it had a console, if not it may have been manual and the pedal removed do you have a large power brake pedal or a small brake pedal?

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes sounds like it but look under the dash in the heater output area. Is there a plastic diverter on the front of the heater outlet? Is there a service stub plug tied out of the way? If you can answer yes to either or both it had a console, if not it may have been manual and the pedal removed do you have a large power brake pedal or a small brake pedal?
No diverter, didn't see a service stub. Large brake pedal, but I supposed that the pedal box could have been replaced.

Phil

1 - 6 of 6 Posts