Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hoping someone can provide some guidance on grounds for the tail light harness. I installed the tail lights and side marker wiring along with the fuel sender and license plate light. Each side marker and tail light has a ground as well as the harness for the fuel and license plate light. The standard ground is on the trunk support upright. My original harness has the ground wire going back through the harness plug to the front of the car.

My questions are these:

What does everyone do we these multiple ground wires? Do you tie them together into one and ground at the upright?
Or do you ground the side markers separately and tie the tail lights together then ground at the upright?

I think AAW did it this way for the sake of ease but when compared to the factory harness it seems like there are many more actual grounds than the original. Also, the side marker grounds actually come with a starred ring connector which leads me to believe they expect me to use a sheet metal screw and ground them independently.

As always, thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They all get connected to the latch support
So do most just stack the ring connectors or connect them all together with an inline connector, shrink wrap and then run one to the latch support?

·
Premium Member
5,230 Posts
So do most just stack the ring connectors or connect them all together with an inline connector, shrink wrap and then run one to the latch support?
I would only "stack" 2 at a time. Just my .02. Grounds are very important and you want good contact. I think it may look more professional as well. Again, just my .02

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I would only "stack" 2 at a time. Just my .02. Grounds are very important and you want good contact. I think it may look more professional as well. Again, just my .02
I ended up putting them together within the harness, similar to what the factory did. Used split braid and some nylon wrap and everything is together and working so I guess I did it correctly. I ended up putting my one ground on the other side of the latch support as there was already a hole there. But now that I am thinking about it I wonder if this is the hole for the lock bracket :surprise:

·
Premium Member
1,057 Posts
I ran everything to one point with a single black wire going from each side to a ring... each light got it's own branch.
Solder and shrink tube it all. Kinda like this...
L_L_L___O___L_L_l

1 - 6 of 6 Posts