Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to install my new AAW wiring harness this weekend. I ordered the one with the HEI hookup.

My question is regarding the starter hook up. The HEI connection has a yellow and pink (together) pigtail hookup that attaches to the HEI distributor, at the other end is a purple and yellow wire for the starter. I know the purple wire attaches to the starter post nearest the block.
*Where should the yellow wire go?
*Would it go on the same as the purple or to the other post that is not being used? or not at all?

currently I only have the purple wire attached.

I have been researching on the site and most say not to use the yellow wire, but why would AAW put it on the harness when I ordered for the HEI?

Thanks, John

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
On an OE starter, the yellow wire would go to the R terminal of the solenoid providing battery power to the dist during the start operation.

You will have to check the dist power wire for ign power during the start mode.
Being it is a '68 and has a '68 ign switch, there should be ign power in the start position.
If there is power to the pink wire during Start, then tie back the yellow wire and insulate it. You would be good to go.
If there is not power at the pink wire during Start, then hook up the yellow wire to the R terminal on the solenoid.

If you do hook up the yellow wire to the purple wire, the S terminal on the solenoid, then the starter will have power all the time during IGN position - not good.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On an OE starter, the yellow wire would go to the R terminal of the solenoid providing battery power to the dist during the start operation.

You will have to check the dist power wire for ign power during the start mode.
Being it is a '68 and has a '68 ign switch, there should be ign power in the start position.
If there is power to the pink wire during Start, then tie back the yellow wire and insulate it. You would be good to go.
If there is not power at the pink wire during Start, then hook up the yellow wire to the R terminal on the solenoid.

If you do hook up the yellow wire to the purple wire, the S terminal on the solenoid, then the starter will have power all the time during IGN position - not good.

Thank you for the feedback.

I would guess I don't need the yellow wire because right now on the current set up I only have the purple wire attached. No sign of the yellow wire. I will just remove it.

Any idea why AAW would send the harness with the yellow wire? I hope I ordered the correct one?

·
Super Moderator
32,606 Posts
It is easier for them to build a stock harness, then add upgrades later.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts