Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be rewiring my 69 soon. I have the AAW Classic update harness. How long did it take you guys to rewire your cars? Of course I'll be wiring in elec. fans and some other elec. switches too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
i did a 67 took about 4 hours a very easy job,but i bought the harness that was put together like factory.i didn't want to crimp ends on.i didn't want to take any chances of a loose connection & i wanted it to look factory,also i didn't have a good set of crimping pliers
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
101 Posts
Not being in any hurry, I installed an AAW factory fit dash, engine and light harness in my 69 in a weekend. More time in dash pad and insturment cluster take out and reinstall than I did in harness installation. It went in just like factory. I am very satisified with it.
I Installed an AAW Classic update harness in my 69 Nova, complete headlight to tail light (car was apart for the restoration) in two weekends. Lots of wire cutting, connector crimping, planning, etc. also had to wrap the harness in the wire loom covering. Lots more time but worth it to up date the cars wiring.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
166 Posts
I rewired my whole car using the same kit and I bet it took me 10-12 hours total over about a two week period, maybe more. I went slow and careful as I was trying to hide wires in certain areas and didn't want to screw up. I'd also take some time to wrap the wires with harness tape once they were cut and crimped. I'd work on it an hour or two at a time during my spare evenings. I started with my dash (http://picasaweb.google.com/barryfrise/camarodash#), which included upgrading it to a factory tach and small fuel gauge. Once that was done I just slowly went through the sheets in the order specified. My wiring included a VA Gen IV AC system, a power 4th Gen front seat (driver side), an electric cooling fan, power feed for self dimming mirror and a "hidden" antenna at the top of the windshield, and wires for power, ground and speakers for a stereo amp installed behind the rear seat. If I did it again I would get the proper crimping tool and not try to get by with a cheap one and a needle nose. I soldered a few connections and I also used shrink tube around just about all of them (remember to put it on before you crimp!). Awesome feeling when the car started and most everything worked! Only thing that didn't work was the horn, and that was due to an issue with the AAW horn relay. I had to bend the arm down a bit so it maintained contact when ground was closed with the horn button.
 
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Top