Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying a new wiring harness for my 68. I was looking at the Amerian Auto Wire kit 500661. Has anyone here installed one ? Problems with it ? Also do you need there special crimping tool ? Any other info would be greatly appreciated.
:beers:

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
I just used the complete wire kit on my 67 rebuild. It was easy to install lots of reading but the detailed instructions make it very easy. The only problems I had were installation errors like not getting wires grounded, tight connections. You can call there support line and they will walk you through any issue you may have. I would buy the kit again today if need be. Just take your time each wire has writting on the casing as well as color on the instructions.
Good luck, Joel

·
14,291 Posts
AAW is the best way to go. I'm doing my 69 Pro Tour and a 72 right now.

Just follow the instruction, good grounds and Yes you need a good crimping tool. Not really a special tool. Will probably run $50 or so. The $9.95 special is false economy

·
Admin/Super Moderator
12,511 Posts
AAW's factory fit line comes with all the connections already installed and fits like a glove. The Classic Update for modified vehicles has a few leads you must terminate. Great customer service and the installation guide is usable by a wide range of experience without making you feel stupid. :)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK so they sound like a great and easy to install harness. But the big question is do I need there crimper to install ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
OK so they sound like a great and easy to install harness. But the big question is do I need there crimper to install ?
AAW kit is great.
You do not need the AAW crimping pliers but you will need a good set of crimping pliers.
Good terminal connection is critical.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Dan, get the crimpers. It will make the job much easier. AAW will rent the crimpers to you. There are two of them. One for single wire crimps and one for crimping two wires together. They'll need a deposit that they will refund you when you return them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts