Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone here tell me why Chevy did not install stereo kickpanel speakers in an ac car? I have looked at the ac fresh air contraption in the rt kick panel for an ac car and measured it's movement to see if a speaker would get in the way. I do not see where a speaker affects the movement of the fresh air mechnism. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Who says that A/c cars didn't get stereo speakers? A/C and stereos are an acceptable option combintation. I've got it in my car (Mono AM/FM with Stereo 8 Track)

The front speakers go in the rear of the kick panels the rear edge of the speaker cover is about an inch and a half forward of the rear edge. The front edge is about 3" from the passenger side return air sheild. The only relationship between A/C and stereos is you could not get an under dash 8 track unit in 67 and early 68 if you had A/C because the 8 track unit hung under the center of the dash an it interferred with the A/C ductwork, you could get an AM/FM stereo radio with A/C in three years though. No A/C 8 track restrictions in late 68 or 69 since the 8 track moved to the rear of the console.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, thanks for the response. You answered my question. Just to clarify, by "rear of the kick panels" are you talking about the edge nearest the door jamb?

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
Yes, when you pull the kick panels off, you will see there is only one place for the speakers to go. There is a rectangular opening in the outer structure of the cowl, that the speaker HAS to fit into. You only get one chance to cut the speaker opening in the kick panel. Start small and work your way up to the size needed. The opening MUST be centered over the cutout in the struture. Can't be much more than a 1/4" of clearance in any direction.

Here's mine:

http://home.townisp.com/~markcanning/camaro/2003pc1.jpg

·
Registered
683 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Beautiful ride. One last question, do you know where I can pickup the correct size and ohm speaker to fit the kick panel? I tried the old 10o hm Impala speakers but they are shaped differently.

·
Registered
2,730 Posts
If originality is not important than there's two ways to go. An inexpensive 4"x6" will fit behind the stock grille if you measure carefully to confirm that the speaker magnet is not too deep. The best sounding, and more expensive, speaker that will fit behind the stock grill is an Infinity Kappa 4"x6" plate. On my website you can make out the reproduction grilles mounted on an AC kick panel.

·
Registered
6,513 Posts
The original speaker magnets were square, while all current speaker magnets are round. speaker resistance should be 10 ohm and were probably rated at 20 watts of power but you can always add a 6 ohm resistor to one of the leads a 4 ohm speaker.

I've got the generic repro speakers from Classic Industries, and they just barely fit into the recess. As long as you don't go crazy and try to stuff 200 W triaxial speakers into the kick panels you shouldn't have to many problems. The Cheap OEM replacement speakers that Radio Shack sells for about 10 bucks apeice fit fine as well.

In my case with a convertible and chambered exhaust, high fidelity is not really that much of a consideration. The radio and tape player essentially provide some extra background noise whenever I'm driving above 50 mph.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.