Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I'm installing Vintage Air in my 69 non AC car. I'm going to be using a factory center dash vent (already have the hose adaptor plate). I want to use a factory AC dash pad. Question is, does the dash vent screw into the dash pad or into the metal dash. Seems like a lot of weight just to go into the pad. There is a small tab in the dash cutout that looks like the vent would bolt up to but the screw holes do not match the vent.

Thx's

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Hey guys,

I'm installing Vintage Air in my 69 non AC car. I'm going to be using a factory center dash vent (already have the hose adaptor plate). I want to use a factory AC dash pad. Question is, does the dash vent screw into the dash pad or into the metal dash. Seems like a lot of weight just to go into the pad. There is a small tab in the dash cutout that looks like the vent would bolt up to but the screw holes do not match the vent.

Thx's
There should be two "U" nuts that secures the vent. What I cannot remember is if the "U" nuts clip onto the pad or the dash. The AIM manual is not very clear on that either.

·
Premium Member
160 Posts
My first camaro had AC (1969) and the screws went through the dash pad and secured to the metal dash panel.

·
Premium Member
1,291 Posts
MadMax,
I'm going to be going through this process on my 69 non-AC car as well. Will be starting vintage air install before too long, as I want to do most of it while the car is completely disassembled (just back from paint).

Any pics/info you can provide to make the process easier would be a huge help.

Thanks,
Jim

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MadMax,
I'm going to be going through this process on my 69 non-AC car as well. Will be starting vintage air install before too long, as I want to do most of it while the car is completely disassembled (just back from paint).

Any pics/info you can provide to make the process easier would be a huge help.

Thanks,
Jim
No problem,

So far the install has been without issue. They really did a nice job making it fit. One thing I would have done different is I would probably next time run the hoses through the fender instead of the block off plate they supply. Would have made for a much cleaner install. Of coarse then you need to get your firewall smoothed. I would have also ran my compressor on the passenger side but I already had a lot of the March pulley's and only needed one to make it fit on the drivers side. Take your time with the template they give you for the support brackets under the dash. Make sure you locate it properly to drill the holes. The unit is pretty light and I was able to mount it by myself without too much problem. Here's a couiple of pics from awhile ago. The hoses aren't tied in yet or cut to final size.

·
Premium Member
5,496 Posts
No problem,

So far the install has been without issue. They really did a nice job making it fit. One thing I would have done different is I would probably next time run the hoses through the fender instead of the block off plate they supply. Would have made for a much cleaner install. Of coarse then you need to get your firewall smoothed. I would have also ran my compressor on the passenger side but I already had a lot of the March pulley's and only needed one to make it fit on the drivers side. Take your time with the template they give you for the support brackets under the dash. Make sure you locate it properly to drill the holes. The unit is pretty light and I was able to mount it by myself without too much problem. Here's a couiple of pics from awhile ago. The hoses aren't tied in yet or cut to final size.

Nice and clean looking job.

·
Premium Member
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I use zip ties with a duct zip tie tightner/cutter tool to make sure the hoses stay on the plastic vent attachments supplied buy vintage air.The center dash vent screws go thru the dash pad and into the u nuts and it is a pain in the a....
Good idea on the vent hoses. My top of dash was replaced so the holes that look like the vent would attach to don't line up directly with the vent, but I can just drill some new ones now that I know it goes thru the dash pad and into the metal.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,087 Posts
Old post, but I'm trying to figure out what metal these guys were talking about regarding the center vent. The closest metal to the opening is about 3-4 inches behind where the vent would be. The factory two-piece adjustable vent assembly has no screw holes on the back side to connect to the U-clips that are there. And because of the two oval ports there, I doubt that you could drill holes and fasten it to that part. The front factory grill has two screw holes that look like they will be going into the the indents in the OER AC dash pad but maybe I'm missing some secondary metal part that fastens to the metal dash? The factory grill assembly snaps together with pins aligning on the sides. Can't figure it out by looking at the AIM either.

Would love to see some pix of how you fastened a the outer center vent on your retrofit or even how its fastened on an AC car.

Mike

·
Premium Member
Tim - The Northwest 1969 Camaro
1,152 Posts
Mike -

I apologize in advance if my memory is faulty but there is really no such thing as an AC or non-AC car when it comes to sheet metal - the only difference is the dash pad. When I installed my center vent I drove screws into the vent opening of the dash pad which had metal inserts to receive the sheet metal screws. Nothing as far as I can recall goes into the sheet metal of the dash - not the dash pad.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,087 Posts
Tim... I'm guessing you're right. I bought an OER brand new factory AC pad a couple years ago, and I checked with a magnet tonight. There's no metal tab in the center vent flange where the two screws go. So I'm going to improvise. I cut a piece of sheet metal into a strip about 6" long and 3/4" wide, drilled two 5/16" holes on 5" centers and fitted two u-clips over those holes. Now I just have to figure out how to mount that plate behind the flexible flange centered on the two screwhole indents. Once it's all together it means nothing whether it's encapsulated or attached. The mounting screws will thread into the u-clips and clamp everything together.

IMG_7721.JPG

The moral of this story is check the parts you buy when you buy them. My pad has numerous embedded metal parts, just not in the center vent flange area.

Mike

·
Registered
247 Posts
Had this same problem also, and the AIM isn't clear on what mounting bracket is used. I ended up fabricating a bracket as mentioned but would like to know the proper mounting of the center vent.

·
Premium Member
1969 Camaro Restomod
1,087 Posts
Had this same problem also, and the AIM isn't clear on what mounting bracket is used. I ended up fabricating a bracket as mentioned but would like to know the proper mounting of the center vent.
Logically, what Tim said makes most sense. These pads should have an embedded steel insert in that flange that has enough exposed metal to slip on the U-clips. But yeah... I'd like to see a picture of a correct one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts