Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All, i have a 68 rs camaro. I've done an ac delete on it and wonder if i can just pull the wiring harness that exits the center of the firewall just below the wiring gutter? Thinking of pulling the wires back through the firewall and closing off that hole - but not sure if i'll need any of those wires need to remain.

Anybody know?

·
Registered
353 Posts
I am sure others will have a different idea, but I think I would pull them through the firewall and bundle them up real nice and tidy making sure no bare leads were present and tie them off up under the dash and out of the way. Use those black plastic tie straps and/or the wire wrapping tape for harnesses and stay away from electrical tape, because as you probably already know, it will get hot and sticky and messy. Then I would leave the rubber grommets in place and get a tube of black silicone and fill in the grommet openings. That way you or possibly someone else can reverse the procedure if needed later. At least you wouldn't have to resplice the wires or buy a harness. Just my opinion of course. J.R.

I forgot to mention that I think having all that extra wire hanging around the wire gutter might look tacky, unless you can get it all inside the wire gutter neatly; then maybe that might turn out ok. And concerning your last comment, if you keep the wiring intact, you will have them if you do need them for somthing else, especially the power feed that is already protected through your fuse block.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I am currently in the process of doing AC delete on my 67. Now are you going to be running a heater still or not? If so you will still need the wires for the blower motor to come through the firewall. As for the blower motor resistor and relay you can relocate them under the dash if you would like, up to you.

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey guys, thanks for your replies. I do want to keep the heater operational, so yes, you are right, i saw some other info on guys doing the same -- Need to keep those wires, and yes, good call on moving the relay under the dash neatly.

And the ac wires i'll just pull and tie up under the dash- good call.

If interested, i used the ac delete cover from acdelete.com. So far, very happy with it - good fit and finish.

Cheers guys. I will have pictures up once i'm all done this work in a couple months. I'm doing a cosmetic restore on the entire front clip and storing the numbers matching 327, and putting in zz4 done up.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am currently in the process of doing AC delete on my 67. Now are you going to be running a heater still or not? If so you will still need the wires for the blower motor to come through the firewall. As for the blower motor resistor and relay you can relocate them under the dash if you would like, up to you.
I'd be interested in how you set up the blower motor resistor and relay.

Thanks
Brett

·
Premium Member
79 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hey Brett, I'm probably going to tackle that next weekend, I'll let you know how I make out.

So close to starting this car I can taste it.

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?h1qgks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts