Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 68, and am planning on installing an aftermarket AC.

Do I need to just delete the blower and AC off the firewall altogether?

Currently, I have the fender off, and am wondering if I can go ahead an put it on, or if I need to deal with the AC and firewall beforehand.

Thanks, and any information is appreciated very much!

·
Registered
921 Posts
I would say it will be easier to do with the fender off. Typically you get a blockoff plate that screws over the hole for the blower motor but some people like to weld in their own. Their may be some holes you need to drill for the drain tube etc., and that will be easier with the fender off also.

·
Registered
290 Posts
If it is a vintage Air system then yes the original blower and plenum must be removed and replaced with a block off plate. Also be advised that the OE radio will no longer fit after the AC is installed.

Vince

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
Outstanding, thanks guys! I'll block it off and install a vintage AC later!
Vintage air comes with a block off plate that uses the stock holes. It is much easier to install Vintage Air with the fender off as stated above. Now is the time to install it.

Don

·
Premium Member
5,798 Posts
I've read many times how much easier it is to install Vintage Air with the fender off. I really don't want to remove the fender. I assume it will be possible to install but just really a PITA?
It can be done, just more effort needed.

Don

Reactions: VitaminC

·
Premium Member
136 Posts
If it is a vintage Air system then yes the original blower and plenum must be removed and replaced with a block off plate. Also be advised that the OE radio will no longer fit after the AC is installed.

Vince
Both Vintage and Classic a/c kits prevent use of the original radios? That kind of sucks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts