Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just looking at some old posts, I found one that said actual stock ZZ502 motors actualy put out more like 600HP and 600FT.LBS, anyone else have the same info? I just installed mine and I would like to know what kind of power I have. Either way, I think my TH350 and 10 bolt will be the next items to upgrade!! :eek:

·
Registered
4,899 Posts
Every motor is a little different as far as tolerances go because they are all assembled by hand just like you or I would do it using parts from vendors off the shelf so there will be some variance in the specifications.

Anyway my ZZ502 cranked out over 570 horse at sea level in an air conditioned dyno room with no mufflers. I had pocket ported the heads, substituted roller rockers for the stamped steel non-adjustables (have to change the studs so I used ARPS) and was running a rev kit. I can

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
500-530hp is what I've heard on stock 502s.
Now with a cam & intake - 600hp is no problem.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
my neibors ZZ502/502 ran 7.52 at the track in a 73 z28 with 3,500 stall and 5.13 gear with 33" rubber. He bought the complete motor carb and all.
^^ That's not very impressive. Something must have been wrong. Maybe a 6.5?

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
A 7.50 would equate to about an 11.70 quarter mile time, not real impressive but not too bad for a crate motor. A 6.5 in the 1/8 would equate to about a 10 flat in the quarter, probably out of his range. Heck, there are guys on this site with pumped up high compression 383's that can't break 11's.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Heck, there are guys on this site with pumped up high compression 383's that can't break 11's.
Come on now, I think there a guy here with a little chevy II with a very mild 383 that runs 11s:yes:

·
Registered
477 Posts
No that was his real time, he said he thought cam & intake would do him wonders but he wasnt messing with it until the warranty runs out.
Hey dont want to give anyone the wrong impression when I said 5.13 and 33" dont think its a race car this car is a full weight full interior all steel street car with cage.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One more thing, what carb works best with the ZZ502 in an auto trans 3.08 gear 69? I currently am using my 750 edelbrock for now. Motor is all ZZ502 factory parts with the exeption of Edelbrock performer rpm heads, Edelbrock performer rmp air gap manifold and Comp cams magnum roller rockers. And....any recomendations for a torque convertor with the correct stall that can handle the ZZ502? :beers: "I love that beer smiley!"

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
HP950 or HP1000 with a 1" open spacer would be good.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Anyone have a chassis dyno specs on a Ram Jet 502?? This would be through a TH400 and tight converter.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I just purchased a ZZ502 and it's advertised to be 502hp and 567ft lbs torque. I don't have it installed yet. I'm painting the block chevy orange. That black just isn't right in my opinion... It came with a holley 850 vacumn secondary. Guess I'll try it for a while but will probably end up running a double pumper on it :D

·
Registered
167 Posts

I just purchased a ZZ502 and it's advertised to be 502hp and 567ft lbs torque. I don't have it installed yet. I'm painting the block chevy orange. That black just isn't right in my opinion... It came with a holley 850 vacumn secondary. Guess I'll try it for a while but will probably end up running a double pumper on it :D
Car Craft ran a dyno test story on a ZZ502/502 crate engine back in their May '99 issue. I was just looking at this issue a few days ago. Here is what they found on the dyno, including some jetting changes they did which might help you out:

GM Crate Engine ZZ502/502:

• Dyno testing was done through 1 7/8" headers exiting through 5" truck mufflers rated at 400 HP apiece.
  • Carb was the GM supplied 850 Holley
  • HEI distributer
  • Actual compression ratio of this engine is 9.2:1 - GM says it's 9.6:1
  • Engine was found to not be knock-sensitive on 92 octane pump gas no matter how much total timing was used during testing.
  • With the stock 850 Holley atop the GM dual plane intake using the GM-recommended 36° total timing, the 502 made 582.7 lb/ft @ 4000 RPM and 518.6 HP @ 5500 RPM. They noted the stock jetting was lean, so they bumped up the jetting from the stock #78 primary #82 secondary to #84 primary and # 86 secondary which produced the best power of all the runs at 586.3 lb/ft and 528.1 HP.

On another note, I was leafing through the leatest issue of Chevy High Performance tonight on the newsstand, and noticed Edelbrock's full-page ad about their "Top-end" kits. They have a complete kit with heads, cam, intake and carb for GM crate engine short-blocks. Up until this latest ad, it was all for small blocks, but what caught my eye is the new top-end kit for the ZZ502/502 short-block. With Edelbrock's single-plane 454-R intake, 24° heads and Performer RPM hyd. roller cam, they claim 611 HP. That's not too shabby I think. :cool:

·
Registered
278 Posts
My 502 came with a pcv in the drivers side valve cover. Do I have to use it on this motor or can I just install a valve cover breather? If I hook it up on the rear of the carb, I won't have any place to hook up my brake booster?????

·
Registered
5 Posts
Re: 502...

Car Craft ran a dyno test story on a ZZ502/502 crate engine back in their May '99 issue. I was just looking at this issue a few days ago. Here is what they found on the dyno, including some jetting changes they did which might help you out:

GM Crate Engine ZZ502/502:

• Dyno testing was done through 1 7/8" headers exiting through 5" truck mufflers rated at 400 HP apiece.
  • Carb was the GM supplied 850 Holley
  • HEI distributer
  • Actual compression ratio of this engine is 9.2:1 - GM says it's 9.6:1
  • Engine was found to not be knock-sensitive on 92 octane pump gas no matter how much total timing was used during testing.
  • With the stock 850 Holley atop the GM dual plane intake using the GM-recommended 36° total timing, the 502 made 582.7 lb/ft @ 4000 RPM and 518.6 HP @ 5500 RPM. They noted the stock jetting was lean, so they bumped up the jetting from the stock #78 primary #82 secondary to #84 primary and # 86 secondary which produced the best power of all the runs at 586.3 lb/ft and 528.1 HP.
On another note, I was leafing through the leatest issue of Chevy High Performance tonight on the newsstand, and noticed Edelbrock's full-page ad about their "Top-end" kits. They have a complete kit with heads, cam, intake and carb for GM crate engine short-blocks. Up until this latest ad, it was all for small blocks, but what caught my eye is the new top-end kit for the ZZ502/502 short-block. With Edelbrock's single-plane 454-R intake, 24° heads and Performer RPM hyd. roller cam, they claim 611 HP. That's not too shabby I think. :cool:
I know that this thread is old (2007), but had to comment on the dyno results of the ZZ502. The above dyno numbers from the Car Craft ZZ502 test are very real world numbers. Others posting higher test results on "stock" ZZ502 motors had better check their dyno operator. What was the dyno used? What standard is used SAE?
What correction factor used? I have been told that most of the ZZ502 crate motors will test to 510-520 HP.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Re: 502...

I know that this thread is old (2007), but had to comment on the dyno results of the ZZ502. The above dyno numbers from the Car Craft ZZ502 test are very real world numbers. Others posting higher test results on "stock" ZZ502 motors had better check their dyno operator. What was the dyno used? What standard is used SAE?
What correction factor used? I have been told that most of the ZZ502 crate motors will test to 510-520 HP.
Agreed, 502 HP SAE is 520 stp correction. 520 is the number. The DTS should be 4-5 percent lower than our SF 901.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.