Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for opinions here. I have 68 Camaro that I am currently working on replacing the floor pans in. I have already done both quarters and the tail pan. I already have the sub frame out as well as the interior. I am putting a rebuilt 454 w/TH400 in it for right now. In a couple of years, maybe much less time, I will be upgrading motor parts to the tune of around 550-600hp and either a Moser 12 bolt or 9" posi rear end with 3.08 or 3.73 gears. I am already going to put solid sub frame bushings and welded connectors. My question is, do you think I need to add a 6-8 point cage? This car is going to see a lot of street time as well as weekend racing on a 1/8 mile track. If you think I need one, then I assume now would be the time to add it since the interior is out. If so, what kind? Who makes one that is approved for tracks and still allows me to keep my back seat? Any help as always, is appreciated.

------------------
There is nothing like doing it yourself.

68 Camaro
69 Chevy C/10 swb truck

·
Registered
288 Posts
Fade941, I'm not sure of the times that you expect to run once you update the engine... However NHRA does have specific rules on what type of roll bar/cage you will need based on you ET's I found that Jegs mail order has roll bars that are preformed for specific models and you can't make them yourself any cheeper. Also being a unibody it will help make the car more rigid which you will want for a weekend racer.

Good luck and I hope this helps

------------------
1967 Prostreet Camaro
402cid BBC TH 400 w/4,500 stall 4:56 gears,narrowed and tubbed... Well almost
http://www.visionworks-usa.com/camaro

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
Now is the time to do it. Later on you will kick yourself for not doing it, especially if you can run the number that requires it.

It's really the only good way to put a shoulder harness in the car, and if you are racing that's the only way to go.

I believe the S&W kit has provisions to make the rear crossbar removable for back seat use.

I'm kicking myself over not doing it when the car was torn apart.

------------------
The Red Beast http://www.geocities.com/casanoc

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wish I had and idea of times. Anybody want to take a guess? From what I know about the combo I am going to be running, it will be about 580hp. No idea on the TQ. TH400 3.08 or 3.73 posi. Any quesses on ET and TQ??

------------------

68 Camaro
69 Chevy C/10 swb truck

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would go with a 10pt cage and since you are going to still drive on the street I
would install the swing out door side bars.
I am also building a 68 for mostly drag racing though I installed a 12pt cage in mine
my goal is to run in the mid 10.s 496cid
powerglide 456 gears around 600hp without
nitrous I would say you will hit the low 11's
plus if you get bit by the racing bug like
I did and need to go faster your car will
be safe and meet track tech requirments.
Jeff

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Is there any shot you can get to fight off this "bug"? They just built a new 1/8 soon to be 1/4 mile track within about 40 minutes from me. At least I would have to drive far if I get this "bug" and need treatment...

------------------

68 Camaro
69 Chevy C/10 swb truck

·
Registered
963 Posts
i'd start off with a 8 point roll bar and if you decide to add a kit to go from 8 to 10 point cage at a later date, it can be done. I'd find a dealer near or close to your home location becuase they can really sock it to you for shipping. A roll bar that cost 150.00 can end up be 200.00 plus with shipping. I lucked out and live a hour away from S&W and can go down and pick stuff up without having that big shipping cost.
bruce

·
Registered
565 Posts
Guys correct me if I am wrong but I read that NHRA rules state that hard tops running faster than 11.99 in the 1/4 must be caged and convertibles running faster than 12.99 in the 1/4 must also be caged.

Just my two cents.

I have a 69 convertible and am building up the motor this winter. I am expecting to get thrown off the track next summer.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am looking forward to "hopefully" getting tossed because I'm too fast. But, if I already have a cage, I would really have to be cookin' to get kicked.

------------------

68 Camaro
69 Chevy C/10 swb truck

·
Registered
4 Posts
thumbs down to the cage my friend. You seem to want to "beef up" your camaro to drag race it. that's always fun. But let's face it, a dog-cage in the back of a car filled with various dogs is just gonna slow ya down. I'll give it to ya, that WOULD be very intimidating to the other racer. I mean, c'mon, if I were the other racer, i think i'd probably just forfeit and lose if i were racing against a car full of dogs!! I'd be like "what kind of crazy fella races with dogs?" Perhaps though, you are thinking about using the dogs thermal energy to further boost your cars horsepower....or should i say, DOGpower! or maybe you're trying to get your exhaust to have more of a GROWL to it. Well, either way, i guess it's your choice. but dont forget to have your pets spayed or neutered!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks DJD, I'm just trying to get some good info here.

------------------

68 Camaro
69 Chevy C/10 swb truck

·
Premium Member
191 Posts
I personally have been very lucky with competition engineering rollbars and rollcages over the years. They seem to have bent and cut the tubes closer to a perfect fit than some of the others I've used. You would like the swing out dooor bar option a bunch. As far as times go, my guess with some small slicks would be in the very low 11's or high 10's based on 600 HP in 3100 car but thats just a guess. good luck

------------------
SCOTT
69 RS-SS 396 4-SPEED

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What about 1/8 mile time??

------------------

68 Camaro
69 Chevy C/10 swb truck

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Thanks DJD, i donno what promted the recent band O' morons but i'm glad your getting rid of them.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hey fade941 before you buy check out art
morrison.com they bend all their cages in
house so does chris alstons chassisworks
I went with art morrison though they sell
10pt cages for the price of most 8pt they
are located in Wash. state and they don't
bend the cage until you order it that way
its not sitting around getting bent or
dinged up I live in FL and pay 100.00 for
shipping have read some bad things about
compition eng. and chassis eng. which is based in south FL so I paid the extra and
am happy, was going to go with chris alstons
but they wanted almost 200. shipping so
like always do your research before you buy
and install.
Jeff

·
Registered
925 Posts
If you gut the interior yourself and provide the cage, what is the going rate on just the install-8 point?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey, i think my last post may have been somehow lost ! oh well, i'll just give you the jist of it.
1.) replace REAL dogs with artificial styrofoam dogs.
2.) Keep intimidation factor high with in-your-face attitude and a pair of oakley "Razor-Blade" sunglasses.
3.) You will most definately NEED a mullet. Preferably one of the "camaro-cut" breed.
4.) Utilize your short sleeved t-shirt not only as a arm covering, but also as a storage receptacle for your favorite brand of smokes. (nothin says rebel like cigarettes rolled up in your sleeve. ya know, like on "American Graffiti")
5.) And last, but certainly not least, add a vanity plate to your car. One that intimidates the other racers. Something like "2Fast4U", "EatMyDust", "BabyOnBoard", or something else "in your face". Well, i'm sure you all appreciate the time and effort i put into these posts. i just wish my account would stop getting messed up! haha oh well, i guess i'm just not "computer literate"!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
well, your not murray so what would you know about dogs?
all joking asside let me ask you something... why are you hear? your cracking jokes only funny to yourself? i didnt even crack a smile reading that. worst joke ever. are you the other moron on the forum also (zmaniac)?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts