Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have Hotchkis 1.5 lowering leafs on my 67 and I'm running a Moser rear with a 4 deg. pinion shim. I wanted to lower the car another inch so I installed some 1 inch blocks along with the 4 deg. pinion shim and wanted to know what you guys think and your opinion. I want to make sure it is safe. I wish I could find a 1 inch block with a 4 degree angle all in one. I went to the spring shop they wanted $310.00 to de arch so I though I would give this set up a try what do you think? I added a 4 deg. shim on the bottom of the spring shock plate just to keep it flat.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
3,360 Posts
Its hard to see but he has one on top. The one on the bottom is turned the opposite way to make it even.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes there good quality Afco Racing blocks. There is one on top that is giving me the pinion angle I need and the lower one is in the opposite direction just to make the lower plate even with the spring perch.

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
Mine is similar to yours, but instead of angle shims I have a lowering block on top of the spring and a steel spacer below it.

The centering pin in the leaf spring is really just a grade 8 3/8-24 bolt with a goofy head on it. I removed that pin (bolt) and replaced it with one long enough to bolt the lowering block and the spacer to the spring. Lessens the possibility of all of those different parts moving around.

PS I think I found those two washers you've been looking for...

·
Registered
101 Posts
A friend had a similar situation and he measured the space between the perch and the bottom plate and used either steel or aluminum square stock with holes drilled for the u bolts for each side. This tighten everything up and allowed him the properly torque the u-bolt nuts.

I have a similar setup Moser with Cal Tracks. My rear lower shock contacts the Cal track mount. Are you running a spacer between the lower shock eye and the mounting plate or are you using the 68 lower shock mount assembly?

·
Registered
10,515 Posts
A friend had a similar situation and he measured the space between the perch and the bottom plate and used either steel or aluminum square stock with holes drilled for the u bolts for each side. This tighten everything up and allowed him the properly torque the u-bolt nuts.
That's fine if you are using compressible rubber or poly pads - it keeps them from squishing out the sides. If you omit those pads like the OP and I did, it's a bad idea - you want a gap between the bottom of the perch and the top of the shock plate so you are certain that the spring is clamped tightly. The gap can be big or small. Most leaf spring pickup trucks use a flat perch and the gap is the height of the spring stack.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys, I think I will give this set up a try and keep an eye on it, safety first. I have been looking everywhere for those washers.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Do those extend past the U bolt? If so I defiantly like them better.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts