Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in order to prevent any future engine fires- i want to add a circuit breaker into the system on an 69.

i recently had an electrical meltdown that fried the whole front and engine harnesses and then proceeded through the junction box and melted all ignition related wires under the dash.

looks like i can put a breaker in the 12guage red wire that goes from the horn relay through junction and ending at the ignition switch.

is this the best place for such protection? any other suggestions?

i figure a 30 amp breaker(?).

thanks for the info

toph
sd,ca

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Remember that any point after the circuit breaker or fuse will be protected and any point before will not be.
The size of the breaker needs to be sized to the current demands and what size and length of wire it is hooked onto.

I just did a search about getting a picture of a circuit breaker I have used before here at work on a customers stereo and I came across this for some reading and info:

http://www.mmxpress.com/technical/fusing.htm

The circuit breaker below is a model you can manually trip open and is able to be reset manually (not automatically reconnected like some out there).

http://216.239.39.104/search?q=cache:jszps0pDXoEJ:www.cardomain.com/item/ROCCPCB200+circuit+breaker+car+stereo+power+wire+reset&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Hopefully you found out why you had the melt down originally.

I looked in a suppliers book and Aamp of america has resettable breakers that go down to 50A but I have seen others that have smaller amperage and are a smaller size but not with a manual trip open button.
Jim

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the info.

a little background: 69 camaro, 327, all original ignition and charging systems, AC.

had engine fire in winter where the fusible links at the battery and the horn relay caught fire. not sure why they didn't break but they didn't. quick thinking of grabbing a towel as i pulled off the freeway and opened the hood to yank out hot wires saved the car.

high current went through the junction box into dash area and fried the all ignition wires- the 12 guage reds and pinks.

car runs well now- haven't driven it. don't know what the original cause was- i assume a short in a hot wire close to the battery.

so- i want to protect this thing as much as i can with all new wiring harnesses installed.

maybe a breaker or fuse on the battery power to horn relay? would putting it close to the horn relay be too far away from battery?

or between battery and the junction post right behind it that connects to the horn relay?

does anyone ever protect the battery cable itself?

thanks for the info

toph
sd,ca

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
When I wire up race cars with the battery in the trunk I always add a 300A ANL fuse right off of the positive battery post then allow the wire to go into the master on/off switch and onto other fused circuits.
I did see an article in one of the mags about a relay from Painless that cuts power off of the battery using an inside mounted (small low current) switch. The relay from them is similiar to what I have on my car to cut power on the wires to the alternator and starter (I wanted to be able to work on my engine without having to worry about arcing a wrench on the starter or alternator output post). I see no reason why the relay could not be wired to a front mounted battery system to cut power to the whole car while it is parked or stored.
My reasoning for the fuse in the trunk by the battery is for safety. I would rather replace a 12-15 dollar ANL fuse than to have to see the car burn to the ground from not having it. The car could get wrecked or T boned and I prefer putting them on for safety.
Jim

1 - 4 of 4 Posts