Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi All

I saw a Post Looking for a Factory "Kind of Look" for Installing a Coolant Overflow Tank, This is what I did for my 69.

I wanted something that Looked Period Correct even though these years did not have the Coolant Recovery "Closed System".

I searched for the Universal/ Tank types from the Catalogs, then I came across a tank for a 75 - 79 Nova. Like $ 40.00

The Nipple end for the Hose near the Cap was bent over and Downward like at 5 O'Clock - I stuck a Phillips Screw Driver up into that Nipple, heated it SLOWLY and bent it Upward and Away from where it would hit my Fender Well until I could get the Hose over it.

Used a long Screw to mount it to the Lip of the Fender.
It follows the Contour of the Fender well and looks like it belongs there (Even though it does Not !)

Timmy

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Looks like a clean install. We’re you pushing fluid out of the overflow tube to begin with? I only get a drop here and there on my 67.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Thanks, I've been looking into options for an overflow tank, this looks like a good solution.

·
Registered
2,845 Posts
Not necessary. These cars were not made for an overflow tank. The fill line is a few inches below the cap to handle the expansion.

·
Premium Member
613 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Looks like a clean install. We’re you pushing fluid out of the overflow tube to begin with? I only get a drop here and there on my 67.

Hey Brent
Like Bruce said Above, it Would Puke out Until it Get's to it's "Run Level", I Got that !

However, My 427 had Been Running a Bit Hot, I Felt any Opportunity to Get a Bit More Coolant into the System would Help and I Did Not want the Occasional "Burp" out Onto the Floor.

My Car has a Ton of Mod's so I was Not after the Factory Original Look.
Thanks for Looking :)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
If you ever go to a track, a catch can is required.
Yep, to pass tech inspection that is one of the requirements. Although I have seen water bottles with the overflow hose going into the drilled out cap held on with a zip tie on some cars going through tech.

I just use a generic plastic cylinder type from JEGS that is in front of the core support on my 70 Torino. I don't track my Camaro and just keep the fill about 3" low and never have any dribbles

The OP's set up looks good if anyone needs a NHRA solution or just wants one. Summit and other places sell the Dorman tank he used

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/oer-551448/year/1975/make/chevrolet/model/nova

·
Premium Member
3,717 Posts
Did this with my first 69 Z28 in 1975. For the life of me I can't remember which model Chevy I removed the bottle from now. It worked great, the shape of the bottle fit the front of the fender well opening perfect. Tucked in there and never knew it was there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts