Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking around and i cant seem to find if i should adjust the valves differently (self alighning as apposed to guided)

I am getting some valve noise and I was adjusting them and i just wanted to know if there is a special procedure.

Otherwise I would just follow the article in the tech referance here (tighten untin no movemnt in pushrod then 1/4 turn...

It may just be that i was instructed by my auto teacher to tighen down til it dosent spin then a half turn more.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
from my experience, this is the best way to do it if you have a hydraulic cam- with it idling and up to temp, back each nut off until it clatters, then just snug it down enough to make it stop. do that on all 16, then shut it down (i do them one side at a time to avoid making too big of a mess). after you get them all done, shut it down and give them all a half turn down and call it good.
that's the way my Grandpa taught me to do it, and i've never had to readjust valves. of course, this doesn't apply to engines that are being assembled or put back together or solid cams, and poly locks on hydraulic cams can be a pain to do this way unless you have them neat vavle adjusting tools.

·
Registered
8,305 Posts
stupid isp.... made me double post...
anyone else here HATE your local friendly neighborhood telecommunications monopoly?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts