Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just installed a solid lifter cam in my 454 and would like to know the correct way to adjust the valves. I've asked around and I seem to get many different answers. Just wanna do this right.
Thanks in advance

·
Premium Member
7,728 Posts
Every cam is different - what does the cam card say, and what do the manufacturer's instructions say? You can't just "guess" what the lash is supposed to be.

·
Premium Member
1,010 Posts
Assuming you have a proper valve lash spec for engine "hot" or engine "cold", the most accurate way to adjust the valves is this.

Remove all the plugs, rotate the engine by hand and adjust one cylinder at a time as follows:

Adjust the intake valve lash when the exhaust valve just begins to open.

Adjust the exhaust valve lash as the intake valve just begins to close.

This method ensures that the lifter for the valve you are adjusting is on the cam's base circle.

·
Gold Lifetime Member
1,016 Posts
the theory behind PDQUICK's post is that
</font>
  • the INTAKE lifter is on the cams base circle when the the EXHAUST valve is just about to Open</font>
  • the EXHAUST lifter is on the cams base circle when the INTAKE valve is just about to Close</font>
you want to adjust the rockers when it's lifter is on the cams base circle. check this post for a visual of the cam timing cycle. get a metal feeler gauge at your correct valve lash measurements and tighten the rocker nut down until the feeler slides between the valve stem and rocker tip with some resistance.

[ 03-21-2003, 11:40 AM: Message edited by: JIM68 ]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts