Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
These types of ballistic chutes have been used for years in hang gliding and other forms of sport aviation. They are becoming more popular with small, private aircraft. Who knows what the future holds. I believe you need real player to view the video. Merry Christmas to all.

http://wid.ap.org/video/video/airplanechute.rm

·
Premium Member
1,677 Posts
Those chutes are a nice safety item in the single engine planes. There already have been several deployed after engine failure saving lives. The chute when deployed breaks through the rear window.

We have a Cirrus fuselage at work to also fit new front and side curtain airbags. This is another new product that compliments the chutes and will save lives. The front facing airbags are mounted in the lap belt.
Many general aviation accidents are lower impact such as landing accidents (flips and spins) where the airbags will certainly prevent more serious injuries.

I hope that a derivative of these general aviation airbag (lap belts) can be developed for automotive retrofits in the future. The packaging of the system would work well in our older cars and street rods.

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Hey, maybe someone will design something like that for my R/C Planes eh :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts