Team Camaro Tech banner
41 - 49 of 49 Posts

Registered
1969 Z28
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
I went ahead and bought the 2 ton. It seems to be able to reach just fine. I ditched the jack stands under the subframe and mocked up some wood blocks to clear under the car, will probably take one out but just testing to see how high I need to go. I will end up needing to move out of the garage and onto the driveway to do the pull, which fortunately is wide and long enough. It's relatively flat but not completely. Using my 6 foot level it showed about a 3 inch drop over six feet. Not ideal but it'll have to do.

Motor vehicle Hood Car Automotive design Automotive exterior

Vehicle Automotive parking light Hood Automotive lighting Grille

Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Car Vehicle

Premium Member
Just to add... I would lift the engine/trans at a 45 d angle. Then push the car back, not touching the hoist. But there must be room.

Reactions: WCSD

Registered
1969 Z28
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I'm pulling the engine and transmission on Saturday, trying to prep before my help arrives. Radiator is out, fan and shroud are off, carb is off, lifting plate is on, fuel lines and radiator hoses and heater hoses disconnected, driveshaft is out. I drained the fluids as best as I can and have a plug and bag over the back of the transmission. I still need to disconnect the power steering hoses and various wires and pull the distributor. I have some questions though:

1. Do I need to disconnect the Z bar?

2. If I'm pulling the engine and trans together, do I unbolt the transmission crossmember and slide it back?

3. Do I need a transmission jack?

4. Should I unbolt the headers from the block or unbolt the exhaust pipes from the headers instead?

5. How do I remove the Hurst shifter? Is there a way to do it from inside the car?

Premium Member
I'm pulling the engine and transmission on Saturday, trying to prep before my help arrives. Radiator is out, fan and shroud are off, carb is off, lifting plate is on, fuel lines and radiator hoses and heater hoses disconnected, driveshaft is out. I drained the fluids as best as I can and have a plug and bag over the back of the transmission. I still need to disconnect the power steering hoses and various wires and pull the distributor. I have some questions though:

1. Do I need to disconnect the Z bar?

2. If I'm pulling the engine and trans together, do I unbolt the transmission crossmember and slide it back?

3. Do I need a transmission jack?

4. Should I unbolt the headers from the block or unbolt the exhaust pipes from the headers instead?

5. How do I remove the Hurst shifter? Is there a way to do it from inside the car?
1. YES remove
2. I never have
3. Not necessarily.
4. Yes both
5 Remove the handle from inside. Remove the shift rods, then the two bolts holding the shifter to the trans and drop from the bottom. Moving blankets for body protection would be good but if careful not needed.

Reactions: WCSD

Registered
1969 Z28
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Got it out with some help. The only hang up was pushing the transmission crossmember out of the way, which I think was hung up because of really thick road grime with lots of sand stuck in it. Not sure how we ended up getting it out exactly, just wiggled it for a few minutes and somehow it slid out.

The 2 ton hoist worked like it should. I ended up keeping the 1 ton which helped me maneuver things in my yard. I have a narrow walkway between the garage and house which the 2-ton won't fit through without folding, so having one hoist in the front of the garage and one in the yard ended up being really convenient.

Transmission is off at the shop getting rebuilt, just got the driveshaft balanced and new u-joints pressed in, I'm currently cleaning the engine bay that is filled with literal pounds of grease and road grime (filled a shoebox nearly halfway full), going to wash the engine bay this weekend and hopefully have the engine bay painted by next week, and have the engine sent off to the shop.

Hood Motor vehicle Vehicle Car Automotive tire

Registered
1969 Z28
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
If it's the original engine...make sure the shop does not deck it, or at least makes sure they don't take the deck stampings off if they do deck it.
Yes it鈥檚 the original and I鈥檓 going to make sure to tell the shop to be careful with it.I鈥檒l have a long conversation ahead of time about preserving the numbers

41 - 49 of 49 Posts