Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1969 Z28
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never pulled an engine before and need some advice before I jump right into it. I'll describe the situation first and then have some questions at the end. Any input is appreciated. Back about the mid 80's the original 302 was pulled and the heads and other parts were taken off and installed on a 327, which is in the car now. I want to take the 327 out, take off all the original 302 parts, and send them and the 302 to the machine shop. The m21 needs some work so now is a good time to pull it as well. I bought a 1 ton folding engine hoist from harbor freight assuming it would work, as well as a engine leveler, and tried to do a "dry run" to make sure it set into place. I had to jack the front of the car up slightly to fit the hoist underneath, but the hoist is too far forward of the center of the engine, just over a foot away, and can't go in any further because it is right up against the bumper. Also the hood is in the way.

1. It appears I need to remove the hood to pull the engine. Is that correct?

2. I need to push the engine hoist closer toward the engine another 16 inches (roughly) and it appears I could gain about that much if I removed the bumper, grille, header panel, etc up until the radiator support. Is that something that is normally done or would that be a big mistake to do? Or did I buy too small of a engine hoist and need a larger one? If so, would the 2 ton from harbor freight work? I might be able to buy a longer piece of square tube and modify the hoist arm to reach deeper into the engine bay, but that seems sketchy.

3. Should I leave the transmission bolted to the engine when I pull it? Someone told me it's a lot easier to install an engine and transmission (especially manual) together, is this true?

I have other questions but they're more about the reinstall process so I'll ask those separately. If anyone has any general advice for pulling an engine I'd be appreciative since it's my first time and the guys helping me don't have a lot of experience either.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
2,839 Posts
Your engine hoist should have a sliding adjustment on the beam, everyone I've seen from HF does. that should be plenty to center over the engine, I would think..

Removing the hood is a given. as well as the radiator, and I always remove all the front accessories and drives, it gives you more wiggle room to get the engine out, but not always necessary.

I haven't removed an engine from a Camaro with the trans attached, I know it can be done though, if your lift leveler can adjust to the required angle.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
If you pull it with the transmission attached either drain the transmission first and/or get a plug for the tail shaft to keep it from dumping oil on your floor. You just need to have enough room for your boom on the lift to go up so it can get it all high enough for the tranmission to clear the fenders / header panel area. You can lift the tailshaft to get somewhat raised but the engine still needs to be pretty high up. How much room do you have overhead for your crane boom before you hit something above?

·
Registered
625 Posts
1) you need to remove the hood. Use a pencil to mark where hinges are on the hood so you can line it up when putting back on.

2) Do you have the boom extended? Your small block and tranny are far less than a ton in weight, thinking the HF hoist boom has adjustments that can extend it out.

3) pull engine and tranny together. You will need a floor jack under the transmission to allow crossmember removal. Lower down tranny as you lift engine.

Don’t forget:

A) Have an extra set of hands, hard to do by yourself.
B) Pull distributor before removing the engine or you will have clearance issues when lowering tranny
C) Plug tranny or you will have fluid everywhere. (you will only make this mistake once)
D) As noted above remove radiator and all drives. Don’t forget wires or ground straps
E) You will need someone to grab tranny by the tail and lift over front of car, your HF hoist won’t lift the assembly that high.
F) take lots of pictures, they will help you remember things when putting an engine back with in

·
Registered
125 Posts
Never get underneath it when suspended. Bad enough if lift cylinder fails and drops an engine on your car, much worse if it drops on you or your helper.
Have a stand or cradle ready to accept.Years ago summit sold a cradle for like $30 bucks. Were
cheap POS but they worked.

Reactions: WCSD

·
Registered
1969 Z28
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Your engine hoist should have a sliding adjustment on the beam, everyone I've seen from HF does. that should be plenty to center over the engine, I would think..

Removing the hood is a given. as well as the radiator, and I always remove all the front accessories and drives, it gives you more wiggle room to get the engine out, but not always necessary.

I haven't removed an engine from a Camaro with the trans attached, I know it can be done though, if your lift leveler can adjust to the required angle.
It does have the sliding adjustment, three positions, and I pushed it all the way forward to the outermost position. It's about 16 inches back from centered over the carb so either I modify the hoist, I take off the front end, or I need a bigger hoist. Not sure which is better.

If you pull it with the transmission attached either drain the transmission first and/or get a plug for the tail shaft to keep it from dumping oil on your floor. You just need to have enough room for your boom on the lift to go up so it can get it all high enough for the tranmission to clear the fenders / header panel area. You can lift the tailshaft to get somewhat raised but the engine still needs to be pretty high up. How much room do you have overhead for your crane boom before you hit something above?
Thank you, I will try and drain the transmission and will get a plug regardless. I have not checked clearance above but will tomorrow. There isn't a ton of room, just a standard 1960's garage. The driveway is "somewhat" flat so I suppose I could push it out if needed.

1) you need to remove the hood. Use a pencil to mark where hinges are on the hood so you can line it up when putting back on.

2) Do you have the boom extended? Your small block and tranny are far less than a ton in weight, thinking the HF hoist boom has adjustments that can extend it out.

3) pull engine and tranny together. You will need a floor jack under the transmission to allow crossmember removal. Lower down tranny as you lift engine.

Don’t forget:

A) Have an extra set of hands, hard to do by yourself.
B) Pull distributor before removing the engine or you will have clearance issues when lowering tranny
C) Plug tranny or you will have fluid everywhere. (you will only make this mistake once)
D) As noted above remove radiator and all drives. Don’t forget wires or ground straps
E) You will need someone to grab tranny by the tail and lift over front of car, your HF hoist won’t lift the assembly that high.
F) take lots of pictures, they will help you remember things when putting an engine back with in
Thank you, extremely helpful. Like I said though the boom is extended as far as it will go so either I pull parts off the front end or get a bigger hoist. If you think getting a bigger hoist is vastly easier then I'll probably go that route.

·
Registered
1969 Z28
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Here's the pictures I took. The first picture kind of shows how far back the hoist is when it is forward all the way. about 16in back from the carb, where I'm assuming is where it should be roughly. The second picture shows how close it is to the bumper and can't be moved any closer without removing parts of the front end. The third picture shows the settings on the arm. I mistakenly thought it was three settings, it's actually four but regardless is at the furthest setting. I'm leaning toward getting a bigger hoist unless anyone thinks it's not that big a deal to pull the front end off. I'll defer to your guys experience about whether or not that is worth doing versus getting another hoist that is long enough. I bought this hoist thinking it would suffice, I had no idea it wouldn't be long enough, I know camaros have long hoods by today's standards but it's no Monte Carlo with a football field hood.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle Hood Automotive design
Automotive tire Hood Automotive lighting Grille Motor vehicle
Tire Vehicle Grille Automotive lighting Hood

Never get underneath it when suspended. Bad enough if lift cylinder fails and drops an engine on your car, much worse if it drops on you or your helper.
Have a stand or cradle ready to accept.Years ago summit sold a cradle for like $30 bucks. Were
cheap POS but they worked.
Good safety advice. I do have two cradles waiting for each motor plus an engine stand as a backup.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Before you pull the hood, instead of pencil tracing, drill a 3/16” hole through the hinge into the hood mounting surface. (Carefully!). When you bolt the hood back on, use the drill bit as a locating dowel to get the alignment just right. The hole is small enough to not be noticeable, but it will survive sanding and paint.

·
Registered
377 Posts
1. Yes, remove the hood.

2. The hoist you have doesn't extend the boom out farther? The Harbor Freight 2-ton hoist extends from 41" to 61". At the farthest setting you are down to a 1/2-ton rating. That's dicey if you plan to pull the trans too. Most long reach hoists will be more like 8-ton rated. You know that tool rental places usually have hoists, right?

3. If you have a manual trans, they are easy to drop (leave the bellhousing on the engine). This is the time to check the clutch situation.

·
Registered
700 Posts
If in a garage, look into attic to see if you can add some beef up on celling joists to use them to pull engine. Then go get a block and tackle , or -come-a-long ratchet system or a boat winch with steel cable to lift the engine out. I have used all three in my 45 years of pulling engines. Just need to add pulleys and any support to do it safely and easily.

Or get a larger hoist which has the needed depth from cylinder you need to pull engine. I think I got the 3 ton HF hoist 11 years ago and it has worked for me, so far, but I haven't pulled a Camaro engine with it.

Either way, you will need to change something to engine out, then back in. I would attempt modifying a 1 ton hoist to work as any mod will reduce it lifting capability. You are already at 1/4 ton (500 lbs) lift point that would be considered a barely safe minimum to pull the engine & transmission.

Don't cheap on this tool for your garage. It can create more damage than you want, if it fails.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I would get a different hoist before I took the front clip apart to make that one work. The job can be so much easier with the right lift and reduce the risk of damaging your car pulling the engine.

I would pull that carburetor off and get a lift plate that bolts to the intake manifold too. The Z-Bar for the clutch pedal linkage needs to come off too, that's an easy thing to overlook.

Before you start lifting the engine, tie up everything you've disconnected so you can roll the body if you find you need to move to your driveway to have enough overhead room to lift the engine.

Where are you located? Might be someone on the forum that can help if you are close to them.

·
3,657 Posts
Might as well add my take on it :)

1. Definitely need a bigger hoist. That one is way too small :( Might be easier to just rent one if you are only doing this one time.

2. I have never pulled an engine and trans together and just cannot imagine feeling comfortable doing it that way and I have been doing this stuff for a loooong time :) I do know one guy that put a Muncie tailhousing through his windshield many years ago :(

3. Pulling the hood makes it a lot easier but its not 100% needed.

4. Although I have done it alone a few times it is really a 2 person job in my opinion.

·
Registered
945 Posts
One more take:

I have R & R'ed many engines in my garage. I realize you don't have one of these suspended from a 5.25"X16" microlam beam above your garage
DSC_2826 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Even with this I would be hard pressed to try and install (or remove) the engine w/trans attached ... alone/by myself.

I always use this (home-made) engine plate on the carburetor mount to hook up
460 and top loader suspended 1 by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

I removed the 350 from my Camaro (for my current build) with the trans attached, but I had my Son here to assist. I prefer to install them with the trans attached as well. It just makes the reassembly process much easier, but I wouldn't even think seriously about doing it alone.

I can easily drop an (or pull) engine and bell housing by myself with this set-up.

When installing (or removing) both at once you need to be able to maneuver the tail downward as you move the engine rearward (or forward) in the bay ... not a simple task. I would certainly want the radiator out of the bay to allow more front to rear space. If you had the adjustable engine mount that allows you to tilt the angle of the engine & trans you might stand a chance doing it alone ... assuming you are a daring soul. ;)

·
Registered
Al - Waterloo, Iowa
5,323 Posts
Your hoist is too small. You can't modify it safely without running the risk of the lifted weight being out past the hoists forward wheels and possibly tipping. Buy or rent a 2 ton hoist. Drill 2 small holes in each hood hinge for easier re-alignment or mark the hinge locations using tape as an outline. I've done it both ways. Here's a pic of my 2 ton hoist when I installed the engine in my 67. Note the height comparing to the 8' ceiling height. Don't hook to the engine too short or you'll loose tilt and can bind.

Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood

·
Registered
89 Posts
Get the Harbor freight 2 ton. I have only pulled the engine with out the transmission once and to many times with always small block muncie combo. I have an extra yoke to stick in the back of the transmission you can put a plastic bag around for added security. As mentioned above hood off, rad out, accessories off. Carb plate works good have done it with chains as well, prefer carb plate.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Depending on your timeline, I'd keep an eye on Cragislist for a used one. I picked up a 2 ton hoist that looks brand new for $150 and could probably unload it for the same money. Just a thought....

·
Registered
1969 Z28
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Before you pull the hood, instead of pencil tracing, drill a 3/16” hole through the hinge into the hood mounting surface. (Carefully!). When you bolt the hood back on, use the drill bit as a locating dowel to get the alignment just right. The hole is small enough to not be noticeable, but it will survive sanding and paint.
Good idea, thank you. I may not end up keeping the current hood but will treat it as if I'm going to.

1. Yes, remove the hood.

2. The hoist you have doesn't extend the boom out farther? The Harbor Freight 2-ton hoist extends from 41" to 61". At the farthest setting you are down to a 1/2-ton rating. That's dicey if you plan to pull the trans too. Most long reach hoists will be more like 8-ton rated. You know that tool rental places usually have hoists, right?

3. If you have a manual trans, they are easy to drop (leave the bellhousing on the engine). This is the time to check the clutch situation.
That's as far as it extends in the picture. I need to measure to see if the 2 ton from harbor freight will reach or not. I might end up renting one.

2ton hoist would be the better choice.
Seems like that's the best option, I'm trying to determine which will reach.

If in a garage, look into attic to see if you can add some beef up on celling joists to use them to pull engine. Then go get a block and tackle , or -come-a-long ratchet system or a boat winch with steel cable to lift the engine out. I have used all three in my 45 years of pulling engines. Just need to add pulleys and any support to do it safely and easily.

Or get a larger hoist which has the needed depth from cylinder you need to pull engine. I think I got the 3 ton HF hoist 11 years ago and it has worked for me, so far, but I haven't pulled a Camaro engine with it.

Either way, you will need to change something to engine out, then back in. I would attempt modifying a 1 ton hoist to work as any mod will reduce it lifting capability. You are already at 1/4 ton (500 lbs) lift point that would be considered a barely safe minimum to pull the engine & transmission.

Don't cheap on this tool for your garage. It can create more damage than you want, if it fails.
If I had a bigger garage I'd consider an overhead system but the garage is small and cramped and I'd need to add structure. Maybe in the future.

I would get a different hoist before I took the front clip apart to make that one work. The job can be so much easier with the right lift and reduce the risk of damaging your car pulling the engine.

I would pull that carburetor off and get a lift plate that bolts to the intake manifold too. The Z-Bar for the clutch pedal linkage needs to come off too, that's an easy thing to overlook.

Before you start lifting the engine, tie up everything you've disconnected so you can roll the body if you find you need to move to your driveway to have enough overhead room to lift the engine.

Where are you located? Might be someone on the forum that can help if you are close to them.
Thank you. I do have a lifting plate. I may end up doing it on the driveway which is "kind of" flat. I'm located in San Diego.

Might as well add my take on it :)

1. Definitely need a bigger hoist. That one is way too small :( Might be easier to just rent one if you are only doing this one time.

2. I have never pulled an engine and trans together and just cannot imagine feeling comfortable doing it that way and I have been doing this stuff for a loooong time :) I do know one guy that put a Muncie tailhousing through his windshield many years ago :(

3. Pulling the hood makes it a lot easier but its not 100% needed.

4. Although I have done it alone a few times it is really a 2 person job in my opinion.
The bigger hoist seems like the inevitable choice. Sucks that i just bought the other one.

One more take:

I have R & R'ed many engines in my garage. I realize you don't have one of these suspended from a 5.25"X16" microlam beam above your garage
by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

Even with this I would be hard pressed to try and install (or remove) the engine w/trans attached ... alone/by myself.

I always use this (home-made) engine plate on the carburetor mount to hook up
by Larry Madsen, on Flickr

I removed the 350 from my Camaro (for my current build) with the trans attached, but I had my Son here to assist. I prefer to install them with the trans attached as well. It just makes the reassembly process much easier, but I wouldn't even think seriously about doing it alone.

I can easily drop an (or pull) engine and bell housing by myself with this set-up.

When installing (or removing) both at once you need to be able to maneuver the tail downward as you move the engine rearward (or forward) in the bay ... not a simple task. I would certainly want the radiator out of the bay to allow more front to rear space. If you had the adjustable engine mount that allows you to tilt the angle of the engine & trans you might stand a chance doing it alone ... assuming you are a daring soul. ;)
I'll have help for sure, at least one other able bodied guy but there will probably be several others.

Your hoist is too small. You can't modify it safely without running the risk of the lifted weight being out past the hoists forward wheels and possibly tipping. Buy or rent a 2 ton hoist. Drill 2 small holes in each hood hinge for easier re-alignment or mark the hinge locations using tape as an outline. I've done it both ways. Here's a pic of my 2 ton hoist when I installed the engine in my 67. Note the height comparing to the 8' ceiling height. Don't hook to the engine too short or you'll loose tilt and can bind.
Thank you for bringing my attention to that. The garage door frame, which I'll have to maneuver around, is 82 inches high. I may end up having to move the camaro to the driveway which is sort of flat.

Get the Harbor freight 2 ton. I have only pulled the engine with out the transmission once and to many times with always small block muncie combo. I have an extra yoke to stick in the back of the transmission you can put a plastic bag around for added security. As mentioned above hood off, rad out, accessories off. Carb plate works good have done it with chains as well, prefer carb plate.
Doo you suggest pulling the engine and trans together? I bought a plug that's supposed to jam in the back to stop leaks, but I'll try and drain as much as I can beforehand.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts