Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a shock option that is recommended for raising and lowering height of car. I have some speakers and crap in my trunk and the weight lowers the back of my car and kinda looks funny. It has gotten on my nerves for a while now. It is a stock setup with the upgraded leaf springs. Any advice to help will be apreaciated.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sky Jackers used to be the hot ticket back in the day. They are available at any Auto Zone store. All the old muscle cars in my area ran them. They lasted for awhile. Do not run them with a full load of air unless you enjoy being punched in the kidneys and riding in a buckboard.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
Shocks cannot and should not be used to set the ride height of a car. The springs set the ride height of the car. Shocks dampen the spring motion.

Yes air shocks can raise the car but they are an abomination and the ride generally sucks imho...

You could convert to air ride or coil-overs but that is a significant cost and effort.

Don

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I looked at the coil over shocks and I am very interested in those. I’ve never seen the add a leafs I will check in to that. What coil overs do you guys use or recommend? Thanks for the responses as well.

·
Premium Member
4,943 Posts
I looked at the coil over shocks and I am very interested in those. I’ve never seen the add a leafs I will check in to that. What coil overs do you guys use or recommend? Thanks for the responses as well.
To use coilovers you will have to remove the leafs and install a four bar or torque arm rear etc. Fairly major undertaking.

Don

·
14,698 Posts
Easy route would be to take the heavy stuff out of the trunk?

Maybe ?

Like realty how much extra weight are you carrying around.

Just guessing here but maybe is weakened spring over time and just need to be replaced?

Do you have single or multi leaf?

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Lol. It’s a nice fully built in trunk with two speakers and two amps. Yeah realistically take the stuff out. I didn’t realize the coil overs would be such a pain. I already have the multileafs. I didn’t want to lift inches just wanted some stiffness to kinda pick it up. We won’t talk about the weight in the front seat lol.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts