Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think I've found a nice two piece timing chain cover, though any advice is still welcomed. I need some advice on some valve covers. Jane's previous own used a cheap dress-up kit and when the valve & timing cover bolts were tightened down it created some slight leaks (bent covers/bad seal).

I'm willing to spend around $300 or less. I've spotted some on Jegs:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/MkMdlYrSearchCmd?No=0&searchType=MkMdlYrSearch&Ns=P_Price|1&MODEL=1580941&langId=-1&N=1580941 4294966143&MAKE=1580868&Nty=0&catalogId=10002&Ne=1+2+3+13+1147708+1147708&itemPerPage=60&storeId=10001&YEAR=1580505

I want something stronger than thin metal. Does anyone know how well the fabricated aluminum covers work? Any advice on which one would fit my Camaro the best?

Thank you for any and all advice/help you can give. Forgive my ignorance when it comes to selecting parts. I'm an amature and it doesn't help that Jane's a '67 with a '69 transmission and a '79 engine that's been modified. :(

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Valve covers are a personal style choice, but the aluminum style are usually more rigid and less prone to leaking than factory stamped steel or chrome.

Personally, I run early 60's factory corvette finned covers on my '68. My fav covers of all time. :yes:
:thumbsup:

They look awesome and seal very well, no leaks. You just have to have an intake with a provision for an oil filler and PCV. I'm running a vintage edelbrock C4B, but you can modify a normal performer intake for the center filler tube, the spot is there to drill the hole for the filler tube, then drill a hole near the distributor to install a grommet for the PCV valve. You can then have a 350 or 400 small block that looks like an early 327 or 283.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Valve covers are a personal style choice, but the aluminum style are usually more rigid and less prone to leaking than factory stamped steel or chrome.

Personally, I run early 60's factory corvette finned covers on my '68. My fav covers of all time. :yes:
:thumbsup:

They look awesome and seal very well, no leaks. You just have to have an intake with a provision for an oil filler and PCV. I'm running a vintage edelbrock C4B, but you can modify a normal performer intake for the center filler tube, the spot is there to drill the hole for the filler tube, then drill a hole near the distributor to install a grommet for the PCV valve. You can then have a 350 or 400 small block that looks like an early 327 or 283.
I am old school and those corvette covers were and still are very retro for me. Put them on just about anything and they look cool. I grew up with those covers. real nice.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

I like those valve covers and the fact they come with baffles...my concern is that currenlty, only one of my valve covers has a breather hole. Will adding valve covers with two breather holes affect my vacuum levels or anything else that I may now know of?

Thank you for your help and patience!

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have roller-rockers...would it matter if I used tall or short valve covers? Are there any clearance issues I should be worried about?

·
Premium Member
1,310 Posts
I have roller-rockers...would it matter if I used tall or short valve covers? Are there any clearance issues I should be worried about?
One hole can be used for a pcv valve and the other for a breather/oil fill. And far as you needing tall covers with the roller rockers depends on how tall your poly locks are? And if you want to be able to use the baffles you might consider them for that reason alone with the rockers/poly locks.
And those style covers are what I liked. They have other styles for you to choose from if you don't like those.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
One hole can be used for a pcv valve and the other for a breather/oil fill. And far as you needing tall covers with the roller rockers depends on how tall your poly locks are? And if you want to be able to use the baffles you might consider them for that reason alone with the rockers/poly locks.
Very true. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Thanks! How was the install and how do you like it so far? I mean, as far as you can like timing covers. Heh. No flex/leaking? That one is about $100 cheaper than the one I was looking at.
Timing cover install was simple, I have a billet roller and requires a button bearing, the timing gear set , comes with an encapsulated bearing behind the timing gear, . Timing gear has a recessed pocket in back to use this.

I run the button in the timing gear hole and the round inspection cover allows me to inspect the button, just remove the water pump . Cover inspection hole has a set screw to maintain cam end clearances of 0.0" , I pulled the entire motor for inspection after one power tour, button clearance was where I left it. All was good.
But cover install is just like the stock type. This Cloyes cover is the rigid type. Cover has been on since 2004.
Forgot to mention, by running this cover , I can adjust the cam timing thru this port hole as I run the Cloyes Hex-Adjust timing gear.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Timing cover install was simple, I have a billet roller and requires a button bearing, the timing gear set , comes with an encapsulated bearing behind the timing gear, . Timing gear has a recessed pocket in back to use this.

I run the button in the timing gear hole and the round inspection cover allows me to inspect the button, just remove the water pump . Cover inspection hole has a set screw to maintain cam end clearances of 0.0" , I pulled the entire motor for inspection after one power tour, button clearance was where I left it. All was good.
But cover install is just like the stock type. This Cloyes cover is the rigid type. Cover has been on since 2004.
Forgot to mention, by running this cover , I can adjust the cam timing thru this port hole as I run the Cloyes Hex-Adjust timing gear.
Awesome! Thank you. I've saved it to my wish list. First I'm going to get the valve covers, gaskets, breather and pcv valve. Then, when budget permits, I'll get the timing cover, associated accesories and tools.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok, so, here's what I ended up ordering:

If any of you experienced folks see anything wrong right away, please let me know. I think that should take care of my needs...but, like I said. I'm an amature.

I really appreciate everything! I really liked the look of these valve covers...even though they hurt my feelings in the budget department.

I'm a bit excited. :beers:

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Don,

I do like the look of those Corvette valve covers. I looked at getting some like it (minus the word "Corvette". I went with the ones listed above instead though...something about them.

You were spot on when you said its a personal choice...all a matter of personal style I guess.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Those Vette covers, can be a problem as , they may not clear roller rockers, but the old school guys like me, added the 1/4" spacers to give more clearance, thus using two cork gaskets on each cover.
The other thing is, the original covers, don't have the pcv valve hole or a place to put a valve or vent. As these old covers were using on older blocks that had the crank vent (draft pipe) near the distrib.
So what old school guys did , to look vintage, was use the bolt on cover vents that were 90° bolt on , to he center of the motor , .

I would scratch that chrome breather and pcv set up. I thought someone was making those covers with the newer internal baffle and place to put the pcv valve.
I will do some looking if those are the covers you intend to run. But the Proform covers you showed, look good and have everything you need. Normally guys run the crank vent off pass side cover to the bottom of the air cleaner base, then the pcv valve off to the other,
But , its your call. I got tired of looking for this cover and stuck with the stock GM finned cover like the Z cars and SS cars came out with. Besides, that's what came with the car and I am old school.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Unfortunately, roller rockers do not fit under the old 60's corvette covers. I have heard of the doubling the gasket trick, or you can also get extra thick gaskets or spacers.

If you have roller rockers, another badass ol skool choice is some M/T or holley covers. Here's a set I have on a .060 over 400 small block I'm building up for another project:

These clear my 1.5 ratio proform roller rockers no problem

I scored the holley covers used off craigslist, and polished them myself. One side had one hole in it already for a PCV. I added the oil filler/breather to the front of the performer manifold so I wouldn't have to make another hole in the valve cover, also since this is going in a '65 chevy van, the more central oil fill location is more convenient. Here's a detail of the filler tube where it goes in the front of the intake. The boss is there for the tube, its just not drilled for it. This is in a standard 2101 performer manifold:

·
Registered
463 Posts
Hmmm. That's interesting. Good eye. The yellow engine is a .060 over 400. 1975 date code, -817 block casting number.

I have two other 400's here, and those engines do not have it either.

My old '64 327 did not have it either.

I notice the two 350's I have here DO have the front oil galley hole/plug, as does the 283 in my buddy's van.

I'm not sure of the benefits of having this oil galley hole in the block? I guess this hole is to provide another place to take an oil pressure reading?

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
Its no biggie, that's just the way the Flint (with plug) and Tonawanda (no plug) are identified in case you have no numbers off the front pad.

Yes, some guys put a gauge in that hole.

·
Premium Member
232 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ok...here is the only major problem I have...the Proform valve covers look to have the clearance. BUT...they are too thick for my current head studs...

I really want to use these covers & such. How hard/difficult is it to back those studs out some or to replace them with longer ones?

1 - 20 of 32 Posts