Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i just picked up a 67 camaro project car (roller) this weekend and am starting to plan my build. I want to build a hot street/strip car and would like everyone's advice to make sure I'm not way off base as I plan to drive this car quite a bit with a few trips a year to the track.The general build will be as follows

Fuel injection (not sure what system yet)
406 sbc 236/242 @50 110 lsa
4l80e trans I'm thinking a 2800-3000 stall conv
3.73 gears with 26.7" tall street tires and 28x12 track tires
This combo should put me at about 2550 rpm or so at 75 in overdrive (conv locked) with street tires and 6075 rpm at 125 with 28" tires does this sound like a good street/strip combo or do I need more or less gear. Also one thing I am a but concerned about us cam surge with the overdrive trans so any insight on that would be great.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Couple thoughts. First a 4l80e is overkill for a street/strip small block without a power adder, both from a capability and cost perspective. A 200R is a lot less $$ if you OD is a must. A well built T350 is even less.

First thing is determine how fast you are wanting to go and pay for. Get the motor figured out before you spec the tranny or rear end. Don’t forget to add $$ for suspension upgrades, axles and brakes. Fuel injection will add cost when everything is added in, a carb is easier, just as fast and probably more reliable over time as well.

125 mph in quarter is going to take around 525 flywheel hp. 525 in a 406 with good heads and hydraulic roller should run smooth at your target 2500 highway rpm.

Calculate a budget for everything you think is needed and add at least 50% - most things won’t go perfectly.

Good luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My ET goal is only mid 11's because I don't want to add a 6pt roll bar.
I was struggling with what transmission to go with and I don't have the 4l80e yet. I was just afraid that the 200r couldn't take the 525-550hp I planned on throwing at it for a prolonged period of time and it would end up being a maintenance item. It sure would make things easier and I would save cost and weight plus I would probably go carb at that point because I wouldn't need the trans control. I do appreciate the comments it gives me alot to think about.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Hey guys i just picked up a 67 camaro project car (roller) this weekend and am starting to plan my build. I want to build a hot street/strip car and would like everyone's advice to make sure I'm not way off base as I plan to drive this car quite a bit with a few trips a year to the track.The general build will be as follows

Fuel injection (not sure what system yet)
406 sbc 236/242 @50 110 lsa
4l80e trans I'm thinking a 2800-3000 stall conv
3.73 gears with 26.7" tall street tires and 28x12 track tires
I see you've already thought about the hot ticket items - the ones everyone loves to jump straight towards before considering the rest of their combination, e.g. why bother planning a 406 SBC build around a camshaft when there are many components that make up an engine build and every component needs to work together.. you'll be forever chasing your tail going down this path as you try make subsequent parts work with that first decision you made.

As I'm also building a street/strip first gen and have been down this path, consider this:
  • How quick do you want to run?
  • What kind of power do you need to make to get there?
  • What kind of driveability are you willing to compromise to do this?
  • Aside from the engine - what has to happen to everything else around it to support those power levels, launches on the strip and use on the street e.g. cooling system/fuel system/electrical/trans/diff/chassis/suspension/etc?
  • And most importantly: what is your budget to accomplish this?
Once you answer those - I'm sure people can chime in with the best pathway.

·
Premium Member
Ben - Delaware - 67 Camaro
583 Posts
i have a very similar combo without the OD trans.
406 11.4:1
248 /252 roller .630 lift
AFR 210 heads
840 Holley HP
9.5" custom converter (3,800 +/- stall speed)
TH350 manual valve body, heavy duty everything
3.73 gear
275/60/15 tire

running low 11's on motor and giving it it's first 100 shot this Saturday, hoping for mid 10's

it cruises and drives around town just fine, idles great and isn't too finniky at all. it took some tuning to get it there. highway driving is a different story. 2,800 RPM at 55 - 60 MPH isnt fun for long period of time. if i were you, i'd go with a well build 200r or 700r NON-lock up. lock up converter will not be your friend for the strip portion of street / strip. they can build the 200's & 700's to handle 600+ HP. keep in mind, you're going to want to pay attention to suspension and chassis parts as well. frame connectors are an absolute must. calvert split mono leafs and caltrac bars, good adjustable shocks front and back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts