Team Camaro Tech banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me where I can get parts for an original tilt-wheel steering column out of a 68 Camaro?

Here is what's busted on it: When you tilt the wheel, it doesn't lock in place so well. I noticed sometimes when I was driving and going around turns that the wheel would suddenly break loose from it's position. Also, the turning signal lever does not snap back after a turn, I have to turn it off manually.

Any help would be appreciated. Ididit columns are $310 for this application. I don't feel like dropping that kind of coin for something I already have.

I talked to the people over a Ricks First Gen and they told me it was junk and was not repairable. Is this true?

Thanks
Tony Rapin
68 Pro-Touring Camaro (in progress...)

·
Registered
538 Posts
....or YearOne.....

------------------
1969, X-44, Export Model, Hugger Orange, Std. Int., BC Rear(soon to be a BT 12 bolt), PDB, GMPP 350HO, M22 Supercase, SSM Lift Bars, AirGap, Holley 750, FlowMaster American Thunder Exhaust, FlowTech Headers

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Can anyone tell me if my column is truely junk? I find this very hard to believe if people can actually be in the business of reconditioning these things.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Tony

·
Registered
326 Posts
hey infamous, i'm taking apart a 69 chevelle tilt right now, dont really know too much about tilts, but they are not that complex, checkout this website, it has some great info on how to take apart a tilt and put it back together, I'm sure you can get the parts from other columns, and adapt them,...
they can be adjusted as well..
http://www.corvettefaq.com/A-Car.asp

·
Registered
66 Posts
Infamous,

Call Gary's Classic in Dallas Tx. They can either rebuild yours or sell you a reconditioned unit thast literally looks brand new for a reasonable price.

My tilt column cost apprx $250.

grey899

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.