Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have looked deeply into AFR heads and have seen that they outflow severial other heads by far. Does anybody know how these heads perform, that has previsiously built an engine similar to this or is currently running one? They will be on a 350 with 292/.501 hydrolic cam, Hooker headers, Holley street dominator intake, 750 Holley carb, and 10:1:1 compression.

thx

·
Registered
258 Posts
IMO, you have to much cam and carb for a 350 with that compression. You need around 11.5 compression.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I have the Street 195's on a 355 mule and going on a 383 soon. I was looking to compare this head flow with the Eliminator head numbers posted and I don't see too much differance. I think the old Street head has taken on the new Eliminator name. But you will see a lot of differance when comparing to the race flow numbers.
http://airflowresearch.com/articles/article038/A-P1.htm

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey AH32, there is no way I have to much carburetion because all rochester quadrajets with the exception of the big blocks were all 750 cfm. By the way if you go to the comp cams website and look for the magnum 292/.501 you will see the minimum compression is 9:5:1 for that cam. If anybody has any further information about experience with these heads feel free to post what you have experienced.

thx

·
Registered
277 Posts
I have the 180cc heads, and I love them. Massive torque, and the motor still pulls to 6500. I have a 355 sbc, Lunati 401A6Lun on solid ft 112 lsa/106 icl, Performer RPM, Holley 670 SA, HEI with Pertronix internals, 1 5/8" headers. They flow so good, that if I decided to go 383, they would still be at home on my block. I would have gotten the 195's, but I got such a good deal on these 180's.

You can't go wrong with AFR's. Out of the box, they out flow the competition hands down. I am ordering a set for my BBC.

HERE is where Tony Mamo of AFR, announced on my home board Team Chevelle, when the Eliminator's came out. Good reading.

·
Registered
258 Posts
69camaro1

Have you run the DCR with that combo?

Quadrajets have small primaries. Huge secondaries. They are not like Holleys. That 750 would be nice for track. Maybe a 650 or 670 for the street. Is this a vacuum carb? If so it might work well on the street.

I still think that cam needs around 11 to 11.5 compression to run its best. Cam companies always rate there cams lower. A old trick to sell more cams. It will run with that low of compression, but it will be soggy down low. Sound kind of dull at idle and not be very crisp.

I have run a 290/300 seat duration cam in a 10.3 compression 350 and pulled great from 3000 to 6400, BUT it was soggy down low. I think you would be happier to have a smaller cam. It will build cylinder pressure. May try a 275 to 280 cam on a 108 lsa. This would give you a good cam at both ends: top and bottom with that overlap that gives a nice lumpy sound. Usually guys want that lope and use to big of a cam, I have done it before. The 290 range cams need around 11 to 11.5 compression to really run right, maybe even more, say around 12 to 1.

You can raise your compression by milling heads, piston selection, and head gasket selection.

That 195 head with big valves will also cause it to be a little soft. They are perfect for a 383. A 180 would be better on a 350, but this limits your future growth.

I currently run a set of Trick Flows on a 350, but am going to be going to a 383 in 6 months.

Contact Eric68 and pdq67 to get there opinion.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The holley is a vacume secondary and has worked perfectly on a 350 that is stock besides a holley dual plane intake. Thx for the cam info, I think I will look at a slightly smaller cam. I don't see how 195cc heads will be too much for a 350 even with the 2.05 intake valve, it's only a 33 ci difference.

Thx for the info, keep on posting.

·
Premium Member
11,167 Posts
I apologize, I gave out the wrong thread.

HERE is where AFR put out the testing comparing the old 195's to the new ones.

I fixed my previous post to the correct thread.
Impessive differance over my older street 195's. Just would like to know what was changed? Ports? Roofs?

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
69Camaro1, good call on looking for a different cam. That Magnum 292 is legendary for it's radical idle and mediocre performance. I would suggest you look at the Xtreme Energy line.

As for the AFR heads, I have had mine for about 6 years now and absolutely love them. Best money I ever spent on the car. If you don't have them yet though, it might be wise to keep an eye on the Eliminator heads in terms of price and availability. I drooled over the magazine test of them....

·
Registered
34 Posts
the new 195 eliminator head is whats going on my new 383 stroker,the shop putting my stroker together just recieved the heads,he is an AFR dealer.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Greg O, I I have been looking at the Magnum 280 so I will still have a lopy cam with a slightly smaller lift and duration. I don't know how a dual pattern cam like the Xtreme Energy will peform compared to a single pattern. Is there any noticeable difference in peformance or sound?

Thx for the help I will look into the Eliminator AFR's. Keep on posting.

·
Registered
258 Posts
If you are changing cams, look into the Voodoo line over at Luanti. Go over to team chevelle and contact UDHarold. He designed the Voodoo cams and has alot of post over at team chevelle.

A single pattern will be a OK with those AFR heads. No need to have a dual pattern.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I cant wait till my engine is done,the guy doing mine says he cant wait to get it on the dyno because mine is the first with the new heads,he built one identical to mine but with the old heads,he wants to see the difference.Harvey

·
Registered
277 Posts
If you are changing cams, look into the Voodoo line over at Luanti. Go over to team chevelle and contact UDHarold. He designed the Voodoo cams and has alot of post over at team chevelle.

A single pattern will be a OK with those AFR heads. No need to have a dual pattern.
When AFR designs and tests their heads, it is with an open pipe. So with 6-8* of extra duration on the exhuast side will be in order due to mufflers, tailpipes, etc. That will give you the optimum setup for the heads, but no more than 8*. This is the advice from Harold Brookshire and Lewis Racing that I recieved when I purchased both sets of AFR's for my SBC and BBC. I run the 401A6Lun in my SBC, and will run a 60234 Voodoo solid roller in my BBC.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts