Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys--i was wondering if any of you has seen the new composite intakes by AFR--where u can change plenums without removing dist or loosing coolant--go from a single plain to dual plain in 30 min.--was wondering how good they work

·
Registered
53 Posts
Check out the latest issue of Car Craft magazine. They just tested it. Looked pretty cool.

·
Registered
8,349 Posts
Saw that on their webpage and they've got a video on the home page. Very innovative. The vid only shows testing against two unnamed "top selling" aluminum intakes and shows 15hp and 10hp gain against the two.

However, it's $600 for the initial kit and $400 for an additional spider/plenum. I wonder about using plastic for a wet flow induction system though....seems like I remember one of the articles on the Air Gap manifolds showed that having the tract too cool led to poor atomization at some point. It didn't show up on the engine dyno but did on a moving vehicle.

·
Registered
8,108 Posts
I'm kind of skeptical myself, but you never know. I don't like the idea of plastic for wet flow since it seems like it will never get the surface finish needed to help atomize, and I wonder about any possible future improvements I/E porting? I can't see how plastic can be cast without any small bubbles etc. that porting would uncover.
Seems a bit gimicky to me too, and since plastic composite intakes have been around awhile now someone would have already done it if it was the next best thing.

I saw the test they did on it in the mag and I hate magazine tests, they are so vague.

Just my thoughts at least, they very well may work great, but I think for the cash you can get a darn good cast intake ported that will work better for your given application. It seems like composites are just better suited for dry flow. I guess time will tell though. Certainly an interesting piece.

·
Registered
3,842 Posts
The intake is gimmicky I agree, who really needs to switch ports, unless you're going from street to strip and need a quick change.... not many.
I see the point about wet flow and atomization, but what about sheet metal intakes? They have to have a smoother surface than a cast composite piece.

·
Registered
1,202 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yep i agree with all those comments and the first thing came to mind was port matching-and i am still just alittle old school

1 - 7 of 7 Posts