Team Camaro Tech banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
67 Camaro ,327, 270 Comp Cam, 1406 Eddy, put O2 sensor in collector, issue, AFR reading stays at 17.0 even when driven. Doesn鈥檛 fluctuate. 073x047 rods with soft springs. .098 primary orifice.
Any direction is appreciated 馃馃徎

Registered
Assuming your A/F gauge/system is accurate,17.0 is quite lean. What do your plugs look like?

I had a 327/1406 and used the same 1406 on my 355 making 411hp/413tq....while I don't have a A/F gauge plug read showed lean side so I bought the calibration kit

Edelbrock 1487 Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetor Calibration Kits | Summit Racing

Take baby steps towards rich/power mode and swap out metering rods (5 min job) and see if AF gets closer to 14.7. If so you are headed in right direction, do the next size up in jets. I wound up going 1 size up on jets both primary & secondary with stock metering rod. YMMV

I will add I also first dealt with "controlling" vacuum advance using the Crane adjustable VA and limiting detent for VA. Then I dealt with dialing in carb adjustments

Registered
You're saying whether idle or driving it maintains 17.0 with no fluctuation? What O2 sensor and gauge are you using?

Are you saying it's steady at 17 ?
What type/brand meter ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
You're saying whether idle or driving it maintains 17.0 with no fluctuation? What O2 sensor and gauge are you using?
Auto meter 5779 sensor came with

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
Assuming your A/F gauge/system is accurate,17.0 is quite lean. What do your plugs look like?

I had a 327/1406 and used the same 1406 on my 355 making 411hp/413tq....while I don't have a A/F gauge plug read showed lean side so I bought the calibration kit

Edelbrock 1487 Edelbrock Performer Series Carburetor Calibration Kits | Summit Racing

Take baby steps towards rich/power mode and swap out metering rods (5 min job) and see if AF gets closer to 14.7. If so you are headed in right direction, do the next size up in jets. I wound up going 1 size up on jets both primary & secondary with stock metering rod. YMMV

I will add I also first dealt with "controlling" vacuum advance using the Crane adjustable VA and limiting detent for VA. Then I dealt with dialing in carb adjustments
Thanks for all the info, I鈥檒l start with the rods I have the kit. Also going to check my electrical connection. Will post back鉁岎煆拣煠欚煆

Registered
If it's not changing at all, then it's probably just defaulting to max. Could be the connections, bad sensor, or possibly an exhaust leak near the collector.

BTW, never run a O2 sensor in the exhaust without having it powered. It'll kill it quick.

Gauge issue

Premium Member
Just force the choke on and see what it reads. I run a wideband 02 and LM-1 and can tell you you should definitely be seeing changes by just changing throttle position from idle.

I think mine needed free-air calibration when it was new...many years ago.

Premium Member
No possible way for it to stay like that unless the gauge or sensor issue.
you hit the accelerator pump it鈥檚 going to move.
pull the sensor out and calibrate as in the instructions.

Registered
Assuming your A/F gauge/system is accurate
Thanks for all the info, I鈥檒l start with the rods I have the kit. Also going to check my electrical connection. Will post back鉁岎煆拣煠欚煆
OP

as noted, confirm your gauge/system is working/calibrated right before doing any carb changes

While your cam will benefit from a metering rod and/or jet change towards rich/power mode vs stock conservative lean tune the 1406 comes with out of the box, your AF gauge should be going up/down when throttle is applied

Get the AF gauge sorted first

Registered
Agree with others that if your sensor is staying the same, adjusting the carburetor will not fix a broken sensor. Here's a short video on how to test your O2 sensor. I know it's from Edelbrock's ProFlo 4 system, but an O2 sensor is an O2 sensor.
Maybe another thing to check is to ensure that the sensor is properly placed and you do not have any exhaust or manifold leaks. Good luck. :)

Registered
Discussion Starter #15
Agree with others that if your sensor is staying the same, adjusting the carburetor will not fix a broken sensor. Here's a short video on how to test your O2 sensor. I know it's from Edelbrock's ProFlo 4 system, but an O2 sensor is an O2 sensor.
Maybe another thing to check is to ensure that the sensor is properly placed and you do not have any exhaust or manifold leaks. Good luck. :)

Thanks for the clip. I鈥檒l try again tonight. Checked all my electrical connection and re- did the ground wires to eliminate that.
checked for leak around bung, no issue there. Trial an error, I鈥檒l win! O2 sensor check is next鉁岎煆

OK, my Innovate AFR meter is always changing, BUT if I turn the key on, with motor off, it goes to 22.5 (straight air reading)

What does yours read key on....motor OFF ?

Sounds like a bad sensor, wired wrong, or bad ground.... did you use anything on the O2 sensor threads ? Did anything get on the sensor ?

Registered
Discussion Starter #17
OK, my Innovate AFR meter is always changing, BUT if I turn the key on, with motor off, it goes to 22.5 (straight air reading)

Sounds like a bad sensor, wired wrong, or bad ground.... did you use anything on the O2 sensor threads ? Did anything get on the sensor ?
Thanks for the clip. I鈥檒l try again tonight. Checked all my electrical connection and re- did the ground wires to eliminate that.
checked for leak around bung, no issue there. Trial an error, I鈥檒l win! O2 sensor check is next鉁岎煆
Pulled sensor, plugged bung, turned on key, dashes on gauge , 20 sec.count down, which should start heating, no heat, put glove on just in case, was able to hold with bare fingers. 17.0 lit Put lighter in front for hit of butane, nothing. I think safe to say bad sensor馃馃徎
Thanks for all the support 馃馃徎鉁岎煆拣焽吼焽

Registered
Discussion Starter #18

Are you running electronic fuel injection or old school small block Chevy w/carburetor ?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts