Team Camaro Tech banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
let us know how the PDR works out I had one tell me he PROBABLY can get a ding out so I am thinking about it
Hagerty was not a hassle for my one issue and after the body shop quote, sent out a check right away no questions asked and helped me find original parts also

·
Registered
120 Posts
I am a manager of a bodyshop, auto painter by trade, and been in the business for 42 years. I'd insist on a licensed appraiser to look at the car and for him to write a legitimate estimate to repair the car conventionally. Meaning, fixing the damage, and painting it, so it is without a doubt, repaired to pre-accident condition. And, that insurance estimate most likely will be lower than a quality body shop estimate will be, because that's what insurance companies do. That's why I suggest to all my customers, to have the car looked at "at" the body shop and come to an agreed figure with the shop, to repair the vehicle.

Then, it's your decision to try PDR or not. It's your car, and you are not held to anything as far as what the insurance estimate says. You can chose "not" to repair it at all, it's your vehicle and it's your paid policy. If the car is financed, then you have to have it repaired. It would only be professional courtesy, if you do decide to PDR it, to play the shop for their estimate and time dealing with the insurance appraiser.

I have had a few classic car repairs done in my shop through American Modern. One most recently, on a 78 Chevy step side PU, they just took my estimate, decided not to send an appraiser out, and sent the payment according to my estimate. Another was my own 34 Ford PU hot rod, and the damage was extensive, so American Modern decided to sent an independent local appraiser and they went with that estimate. Classic car insurance companies don't usually have staff appraisers like Allstate, Progressive, Geico and other normal companies.

·
Premium Member
2,418 Posts
Well, it is terrible that your car is dented. At least it was not full of water. That would have made a huge dent.
So, are you going to make a claim on your fish bowl?

·
12,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
So, are you going to make a claim on your fish bowl?
No, tank is going in the trash!

Then, it's your decision to try PDR or not. It's your car, and you are not held to anything as far as what the insurance estimate says. You can chose "not" to repair it at all, it's your vehicle and it's your paid policy. If the car is financed, then you have to have it repaired. It would only be professional courtesy, if you do decide to PDR it, to play the shop for their estimate and time dealing with the insurance appraiser.
Hagerty said to contact a body shop, but I made the decision to try the PDR. Contacted a local guy, bringing it to him for an inspection next week. He has done classics before and will need to check the paint depth and if there is any bondo. I don't think there is, GM qtrs were used and they were perfect in that area. We will see!

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
No, tank is going in the trash!

Hagerty said to contact a body shop, but I made the decision to try the PDR. Contacted a local guy, bringing it to him for an inspection next week. He has done classics before and will need to check the paint depth and if there is any bondo. I don't think there is, GM qtrs were used and they were perfect in that area. We will see!
Your area, wherever that is, must not have a Hagerty adjuster come out like they do here. I own a resto shop, am fixing my own car, and had no problems dealing with Hagerty. Any supplements will be covered. Cake walk. I would not contact a bodyshop but instead a resto shop. Do what Frank said and get a price without PDR. I'd do the same thing with my car and tell customers to do it also.

·
12,010 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Your area, wherever that is, must not have a Hagerty adjuster come out like they do here. I own a resto shop, am fixing my own car, and had no problems dealing with Hagerty. Any supplements will be covered. Cake walk. I would not contact a bodyshop but instead a resto shop. Do what Frank said and get a price without PDR. I'd do the same thing with my car and tell customers to do it also.
I wish there was a good resto shop in my area. If there was one, I would have sent my other Camaro there decades ago. I still need to fix the issues the last resto shop left me. :( But I bet if there was a good one, I could not afford it ( i.e. Rob Ida's shop is nearby).

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
I wish there was a good resto shop in my area. If there was one, I would have sent my other Camaro there decades ago. I still need to fix the issues the last resto shop left me. :( But I bet if there was a good one, I could not afford it ( i.e. Rob Ida's shop is nearby).
That's the shop where you take your car for an estimate. The shop used is your choice. Sounds like Hagerty in your area wants excellent damage pics or a detailed estimate if an adjuster is not available. I went through this BS with American Collectors for a customer. Customer sent them photos. I looked at the truck and after 2 supplements they were off by $8K. Initially their FL office quoted a $65 per hour rate. Yea right, I told them. You are paying my rate, I don't work for 65 bucks an hour. They paid but not for my office work time. Told the customer to switch to Hagerty.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Stupid question, but curiosity has me asking - I would assume PDR will work on our cars, but our sheet metal thickness is a little larger than cars of today......therefore taking longer to do - or not at all?

·
Registered
8,543 Posts
Stupid question, but curiosity has me asking - I would assume PDR will work on our cars, but our sheet metal thickness is a little larger than cars of today......therefore taking longer to do - or not at all?
I've used my pdr guy at my resto shop on classics. He likes the heavier gauge metal.

·
Premium Member
4,338 Posts
Ida is other worldly. If you are interested I know a guy who does good work.
I've used my pdr guy at my resto shop on classics. He likes the heavier gauge metal.
I used a pdr guy fix a dent on my 77. He was worried about paint, filler and how thick old metal was compared to new cars. He did a good job

·
Registered
923 Posts
Kev just had a ding done in same general area came out great , he explained that if it is original paint it can not be done (lacquer or enamel ) If paint is thick (2 or more paint jobs or bondo) cracks can occur . There is a gauge used to test the thickness of the paint area

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just a strange sequence of errors, I have a plastic sheet in between the bays of the garage. Normally the Camaro is up on the lift. But it was down and there was two garage doors opened because I had to fix a flat tire on my daily. I big gust of wind came up and pushed the plastic sheeting into a fish tank that has been there for over a year and knocked it over into the pass qtr panel. I put claim in to Hagerty and we will see what they say. The paintless dent thing should work, but the paint might be cracked, hard to tell. 15 year old Glasurit. Oh well at least it happened after my judging in the Camaro Nats :D

View attachment 295807

View attachment 295808
Just a strange sequence of errors, I have a plastic sheet in between the bays of the garage. Normally the Camaro is up on the lift. But it was down and there was two garage doors opened because I had to fix a flat tire on my daily. I big gust of wind came up and pushed the plastic sheeting into a fish tank that has been there for over a year and knocked it over into the pass qtr panel. I put claim in to Hagerty and we will see what they say. The paintless dent thing should work, but the paint might be cracked, hard to tell. 15 year old Glasurit. Oh well at least it happened after my judging in the Camaro Nats :D

View attachment 295807

View attachment 295808
You have something in favor is that you used Glasurit paint which I think is the best paint in the world.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts